Guest boesman

Buying online from the US-the costs.

Guest boesman

Hi, not sure where to post this. I want to buy something on ebay from the US. They have quite a reasonable postage charge, but was wondering if I will still have to pay import duties or any other unexpected costs. When we were in the UK I bought some boots once for half the UK price even with the shipping, but once it arrived in the UK I still had to pay a'nice' amount to the shipping company for custom duties or whatever thing it was for before they gave it to me. SO not sure how it works here in Aus. Has anyone bought something from the US?

Regards

I regularly used to get parcels from the US and the postage was horrendous ($40 -$50 + tax via UPS)

USPS is a nightmare, reliable but very expensive. I buy records time to time from America and cost circa $18 each to UK. A box circa 10kilos was $50

S

Guest tinkham_lee

If the value of the item you are buying from overseas is more than $1000AU you will have to pay GST on the full price of the item.

In England you pay VAT if the value is more than 40 pound, which is probably why you had charges when you were in England.

Also if you ever post anything to friends or family in England, on the customs form tick its a gift and never put more than $20 as the value or your family will be charged.

Guest boesman

Thanks for the replies. It is a keyboard and costs about $500 US. The shipping cost they charge me is $45. Not too bad as that keyboard costs way more over here in Aus.

I've bought quite a few things from the us and even with higher postage costs the savings are amazing. Just waiting for a metal detector to be delivered for my son. $200 plus $30 postage - same thing here was almost $400!