Lazy Cow

Did you reccie..or wish you had?

Nosy, Lazy Cow here :smile:!

Just wondering how many people came without a reccie and if not, do they wish they had?

We were, perhaps, a little relaxed when we came over. Despite the fact we sold everything, only my OH had done any real research - although I did watch a video produced by the SA Government - and we didn't visit first.

People seem divided into two camps; the "Mad if you don't" and the "It'd just be like a holiday so why bother?"

We were in the second group. We wanted to keep the little money we had for settling down and felt we wouldn't get a real feel for the place until some months had gone by. SA wasn't quite as we'd imagined but we were very lucky, were made to feel welcome and have never regretted the lack of a reccie.

So, what was your story and, without anyone being rude to anyone else lol....did you, or didn't you?

:wubclub:

LC

Guest magicsprout

i reccied with the visa application ready to post when we got back, was well worth the extra cost in my opinion

My parents did'nt do a reccie.They emigrated to Australia in 1970,and the only info they had before they moved was a two page brochure from Oz House!:cute:I'm not sure these days whether having more info is a good thing?I suppose in some regard it is,but on the other?Maybe people get their expectations too high?If I were emigrating from scratch now,I probably would'nt bother with a reccie tbh.If I had some short term accomo ready,then I would use the time available when I first arrived to get my bearings and so on.With todays technology is a reccie really necessary?If you wanted to check out real estate and area's you can use street view,and estate websites,check out cars on Ebay or whatever,do a virtual shop lol and so on and save your money.

Guest magicsprout

depends how brave you are i guess, we came out for a reccie in the winter to cut costs a little, ended up hitting the charity shops for warmer clothes as the temps looked ok online but i didnt factor in the effect of less humidity, totally changed my idea on where to live everywhere looks great in sundrenched photos but not so good when you are driving around looking, real estate pics dont tend to show piles of rubbish in the streets and hoon drivers. my OH at the time made some work contacts and had an interview, looking around at real shops not just the online selection made decisions on what to bring and what to leave . and above all gave us a huge peace of mind we were doing the right thing. the wait for the visa was very long indeed after that couldnt wait to get back

Guest Guest75

Just wondering how many people came without a reccie and if not, do they wish they had?

We were, perhaps, a little relaxed when we came over.

LC

"A little relaxed"????? You two are so relaxed you are comatose!!!!

Oooerr........ sorry ,ignored the "Don't be rude " command.............

We did a reccie,very important as I was not sure. Glad we did as we put down a few small roots and opened a bank account.

In the Uk people thought we were going bankrupt............. Nah!! We were just selling everything we could and shipping it out before telling anyone!!!:cute:

We didn't do a reccie if we had more funds we probably would have.

We didn't go overboard on the research either as we more in the mindframe of treat it like an adventure and kept our property back in Wales as a safety net, so if we really

didn't settle we could always return. We kinda decided on a 5yr plan love or hate it and decide where we'd like to be. We're at yr 4 now and still on the fence, we definately enjoy our life here but havn't quite 100% decided if it's for keeps.

Think it would be great to be able to afford a long reccie to really suss the place out before committing but we don't all have that luxury for some it's all in and hope for the best and if it doesn't work out you chalk it up to experience and move on.

My OH's from Adelaide and we had several holidays over here before we moved so I guess you could say we had a reccie. Most of our holidays were very much holidays by the beach, but the last one we stayed in North Adelaide and tried to do more of the kinds of things you do on a weekend - cooking, shoppig, cleaning, washing, visiting family etc. We also took the opportunity to have a bit of a drive round some different areas with a view to living in them. The idea was to make a decision about whether to move over or not, but ai think we were already pretty much decided before the holiday anyway so we were really just making sure.

I think if you can afford to visit before moving then it doesn't hurt, providing you don't go in to full holiday mode while you are here and still do some of the mundane everyday life things. You are never going to know what it's like to live and work here but you can get a sense of what it is like to live here.

We didnt do a reccie, just straight into it. We already lived abroad before the Uk so we kinda know how it is not to have the family support and friends' network. So far so good...

No reccie for us - all a bit of a rollercoaster from the minute we decided to go for it (start of May 2004) to putting the house on the market (end of May 2004) to arriving here (August 2004). Still suffering from Post Traumatic Stress over the whole thing, I think....

Moving here for good is a bit like childbirth - you can do all the research you like, but until you experience it for yourself for real (and that's living here, not just visiting) you will not really know what it's like, and the experience is different for everyone. Come to think of it, in my case the actual childbirth was all a bit hurried too....:cute:

Booked for September, cv's etc at the ready. Hopefully should be quite easy for us, been to Adelaide before and just the 2 of us, no kids and not hugely fussy about where we live initially

S

I did one as thought it was important but people do it without and manage aswell. Depends on the people. It would be interesting to see the ratio of people that go back who did/did not do reccies. I think the did not would me much higher.

Guest vikkiann

We didn't but we did fly out to activate our visas. Then I decided it wasn't for us so we stayed in the uk for another 2 years then I joined the 'what if' group and thought we should give it a shot. We moved here nearly 4 years after we got our visa and its the best move we ever made. We literally sold everything because I knew for it to work, we couldn't keep our house in the uk because I would have a safety net. We took a 40k drop compared to what we would have got in 2008 which my husband loves to remind me about but I think I just wasn't ready then.

I did ridiculous amount of research but as mentioned before no amount of research is enough!

We didn't do a recci, we just thought well if its "sh#t" we will just go back, mad you may thing but that's just me. We have just bought our first house and is loving life here ... I never say never for returning back to the uk as you don't know what life will throw at you but for now life is good. I would not change the way we did things it was the right way for us!!!!!

No reccie for us either, we really couldn't afford it. And I'm really glad we didn't because I was really quite unhappy for at least the first 6 months - living in the wrong area - and it took moving to the other side of Adelaide for me to find my feet.

I can also distinctly remember my first impression of Adelaide and it wasn't good!! (following my rellies up Main North Road thinking "what the f@#* have we done!!" :eek:)

I personally believe that you really cannot get a proper feel for a place without living there

Guest AngPhil

We did a reccie, my OH was always really keen and I needed to be talked into it. As soon as we arrived in the country we all loved it. Knowing that we all felt positively about the move, after the reccie, made leaving much easier. I could have chickened out if I'd not fallen in love with Australia before we moved.

We were, perhaps, a little relaxed when we came over. Despite the fact we sold everything, only my OH had done any real research - although I did watch a video produced by the SA Government - and we didn't visit first.

People seem divided into two camps; the "Mad if you don't" and the "It'd just be like a holiday so why bother?"

We were in the second group. We wanted to keep the little money we had for settling down and felt we wouldn't get a real feel for the place until some months had gone by. SA wasn't quite as we'd imagined but we were very lucky, were made to feel welcome and have never regretted the lack of a reccie.

So, what was your story and, without anyone being rude to anyone else lol....did you, or didn't you?

LC

Well, we are a family of 8, 6 kids and me and long suffering husband, we had never been to Australia before and decided just to do it !!

We got our PR Visas, sold everything that was not nailed down (kids got worried at one stage...) booked some flights and we landed Down Under...we did not have a clue what to expect, which in someways was good, but all I remember when I walked out of Adelaide airport with 6 kids, a stressed husband, 18 suitcases, 10 pieces hand luggae, A pram and a BMX Bike..that no matter what S*** hit the Fan....i am never going back....and we have not looked back since.

Its been nearly a year of eye opening experiences, new memories and new everything. But a reccie was not on the cards for us...took the bull by the horns and we are enjoing the ride.....

Hi there, we were still in uk and considering recci, but like you want to save the money really for when we get out there. Can I ask why SA wasnt quite what you immagined Lazy cow?

Edited by Caz and Ian

Love this star123 ,you brave lady, dont know what im worried about with two Kids !you make it sound easy

Edited by Caz and Ian

Some interesting thoughts for sure. We cam out to validate our visa and considered that our 'reccie' and I found it very helpful with two children. Our 'reccie' was a whirlwind stop as we were only here 9 days - mad I know. Anyhow I felt it was valuable because during the (short) time on Oz soil, we explored various areas and I got to take my 7 year old daughter to a school (to reassure her and give her a picture of what school will be like before we arrive for good); also we didn't treat it as a holidya in the senses that we did a food shop and cooked etc in our apartment.

For me it was valuable and I'm glad we did it.

Karen

I won't say Reccie, but did a long holiday in 2003, visited Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, and Adelaide. Instantly fell in love with Adelaide but only really saw the eastern suburbs, the city, glenelg and West lakes. Upon arrival driving up south road I felt like i was in Beirut, it looked a dump and certainly not the Adelaide I'd seen 2 years earlier. On that first night, If i could have had a wish it would have been to undo everything I had just done and go back to my lovely home in Lichfield, I was so depressed.

I think a reccie though if done by spending time with locals and following a routine may be useful and give you a decent insight, because otherwise it's just a holiday and you see it through Rose tinted specs. When i go back to the UK now holiday i think it feels amazing there too, but that's the difference between a holiday and living.

Hey!

We came over with no reccie! When we passed the TRA we sold our house and contents and moved in with with rents for a year!

We moved over with 2 boxes and 2 suitcases! Never visited anywhere Oz before and just turned up with perm residency!

We had limited funds to make it work.... If we had done a reccie, we wouldn't have had enough cash to make the move!!

Don't regret it though..... Still loving the adventure!!

We were in a third camp called 'need to validate the visa', so had to visit when we did, although we probably wouldn't have made the move without checking it out first anyway. We'd done a lot of research prior and it was good to visit the places we'd read about etc. It was also good to then spend some time back in the UK considering our plan of action before making the move for real.

Jim

Guest Charandstew

Good for you! We won't be able to afford a reccie either.it will be like you,take the bull by the horns and give it a good go..we have four kids by the time we go,seeing as you have 6 any survival tips will be great!!!!

It would be interesting to see the ratio of people that go back who did/did not do reccies. I think the did not would me much higher.

I don't know but it would be interesting, for sure.

I've always hypothesised that the biggest reason for returning to the UK would be missing the connection of family, friends or even just an intangible feeling of 'belonging'. No reccie could prepare you for that and I would imagine that most people believe they will be fine without all that, until they have to actually live it. But that's merely my opinion :) I have no real idea.

LC