Does everything 'really' want to kill you in Aus?

Guest Xhako

I love reading comments on this topic. Always lots of fun! As a born and bred Aussie (My first 18 years on a farm.), I never knew there was a problen till i started reading these forums. When it's always been that way you rarely even think about it. I never shake out my shoes, altho i did recently wonder what i could feel in my walking shoes and discovered a dead and squashed cockroach!

Haha this reminded me of the time I put one of my boots on (back in England) and spent about half an hour walking in them thinking, hmm, these feel uncomfortable, my sock must be ruched up at the toe end. Then I finally had enough, took the boot off and shook it out....and a dead mouse fell out! Who knows if it was dead before I put my foot in there... ahh...the joys of having cats as pets!

• 1 month later...

There are no lethal spiders in SA as far as I know. The Redback spider is capable of giving a very painful bite, but they aren't likely to do so .

The thing you see wriggling through the undergrowth in an Adelaide garden is more likely to be a skink or a blue tongued lizard than a snake.

The good news for your dog is that you can buy an all-in dose for everything from Fleas & ticks to Heart Worm, and there are at least two 24 hour vet hospitals for emergencies. And yes you can purchase insurance for your dog.

:swoon: John B

Guest Chris_J

Red back bites can kill, but nobody has died since something like 1958 due to anti venom. White tails I'm told are nasty and you do just need to be vigilant. There has been a brown snake seen by my house AGAIN and the owner reckons one was in here once. Make sure you close the doors or bug shields especially on hot days over 30c. We bug bomb every so often, and we tend to mainly get earwigs and those black centipede things. Always check shoes and as said dont leave clothes on the floor. Another tip for you, don't use valance sheets with long sides on the bed, have the tuck in sheets, spiders will climb the long ones ;-)

Guest Xhako

gross - i flippin hate creepy crawlies and O/H will need to be nagged to pick up after himself... unless of course he learns the hard way!

I saw a plastic snake at the zoo in january - in anticipation of a delivery they were expecting, it terrified me - ha ha ha