Need help when you arrive?

DougM

But Kris we are all strangers. At least Doug isn't asking for money, I've known property owners demand money up front then when the family arrive there is no property and they have lost their money.

There is nothing stopping Doug picking people up from the airport as long as there is no charge.

Doug you are a lovely person and seem very kind and thoughtful.

I don't disagree with what you are saying Ktee. I don't like thinking that way but I think that trust has to be earned unfortunately in today's society. It's just programmed into me from a young age. It's about safety. And your point about property owners who ask for money up front and there is no property are not really "property owners" they are scammers. People need to do their research and if people do take up Doug's offer then they can also "recommend" him on this forum. I've never met anyone that does anything for free when it isn't a close friend or family member. There is always some cost involved, e.g. petrol costs, trailer maintenance/hire - and that would be fair.....but hey this could be the exception to the rule.

Guest Guest75
I agree I think that Doug's offer is generous and it is rare in this day and age.....but I still hear my parents telling me of "stranger danger" and can't get that out of my head.

If Tyke were offering a free pick up I'd be worried too :biglaugh: but for other reasons....he'd probably bore you silly with his fishing adventures.

Don't mean to take anything away from Doug, I just personally am cautious until people prove themselves or unless comes recommended. I think the coffee idea is the way to go.

PS - I like the basketball comment too

I'm with Kris on this.

Let us get to know Doug.

It's going to cost you a fortune doing pick ups and drop offs Doug, hope you have deep pockets!! Speaking from experience!!!

Kris...................... Into the Black book you go,along with LC:tongue::tongue:

Oh for goodness sake some people need to chill, There is no more risk of Doug having sinister intentions than there is anyone else. It's only because he is offering something for nothing that people think there is a catch. Would I let one of my kids be picked up by a total stranger on their own - no. Would I take the chance on someone offering to pick up the whole family plus bags etc - absolutely yes! Good on ya Doug - I hope the gratitude/friendship you receive as you help others is as rewarding as your kind gesture. This world needs more people like you!

NWM

(If there are reports of families going missing on arrival at Adelaide airport this post will mysteriously disappear!)

I'm with Kris on this.

Let us get to know Doug.

It's going to cost you a fortune doing pick ups and drop offs Doug, hope you have deep pockets!! Speaking from experience!!!

Kris...................... Into the Black book you go,along with LC:tongue::tongue:

Perhaps so Tyke, but what goes around, comes around. We may be pensioner but a few litres if gas won't break us.

Edited by DougM

G'day all. Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate them. As for those who are doubtful, give me a call on 83877371 and drop in for a coffee. You can vet my wife Jenny and myself for yourselves. I can understand your apprehension but not all men are pedophiles or rapists or thugs. At 71 I'm a bit past all that anyway. Most of you young ladies can certainly run faster than me with your skirts up and me with my pants down.:biglaugh:

About 5 years ago I helped a young Chinese couple settle in Adelaide. Their English at the time was quite poor and I could have taken them for a ride. They are now very happily settled north of the city and Harris(New English name) has set up his own business. Email him at harris@ark-tech.com.au and I'm sure he will vouch for me and Jenny.

I'm with Kris on this.

Let us get to know Doug.

I'm surprised you say this Tyke seen as we put you up, collected you from the airport and ran you around places, you are still alive to tell the tale aren't you?

I've never met anyone that does anything for free when it isn't a close friend or family member. There is always some cost involved, e.g. petrol costs, trailer maintenance/hire - and that would be fair.....but hey this could be the exception to the rule.

I notice it seems to be the property owners who are against Doug doing this.

Kris as for someone doing things for free apart from Tyke who we picked up from the airport and cared for we have had numerous other families stay with us for FREE, the last one being for 13 weeks, we fed them and gave them our car. So no there is no rule.

Guest Guest75
I'm surprised you say this Tyke seen as we put you up, collected you from the airport and ran you around places, you are still alive to tell the tale aren't you?

Seriously Kate, I have nothing against Doug personally - that's the point - I don't know him.

Good on him if he wants to do this but in life we are all taught to get to know someone first - first cyber rule for kids and vulnerable people..

As for meeting you, I had gotten to know you, spoken on the phone,knew you as Admin on here. Plenty of track history.

And vice versa.

Anyway we are both nutters................:tongue::tongue::wacko:

We property owners have done pickups as part of our services and have had to cost the time and fuel,we probably know how much it cost more than others that's all. :cute:

Guest Guest75

Kris as for someone doing things for free apart from Tyke who we picked up from the airport and cared for we have had numerous other families stay with us for FREE, the last one being for 13 weeks, we fed them and gave them our car. So no there is no rule.

Not going to quibble on your generosity Kate!!!!

Doug close your ears and block your eyes .....this isn't about you now - it about people picking on me because I have a different view and because I am a property owner for some reason that makes a difference. What Tyke said above is right - he knew you, had a track record and you had a lot of posts behind you.

After this thread though and Doug's response, with humour and goodwill - I think he is now a pretty cool guy but before that I wasn't sure. As Tyke says we will get to know Doug more.....after putting up with us in this thread he must be a good guy.

And if I am going to be quoted it would be great if you quoted my whole thread and not do a journalist type thing and quote a part of it.....it takes it out of context then

Edited by Toni

What Tyke said above is right - he knew you, had a track record and you had a lot of posts behind you.

And if I am going to be quoted it would be great if you quoted my whole thread and not do a journalist type thing and quote a part of it.....it takes it out of context then

I will quote the parts that are relevant to what I am replying to thank you, whether someone has been a member for 20 years or someone has been a member for 20 minutes makes no difference, nor does the amount of posts they make. The last family we took in I thought I knew really well unfortunately we didn't know them at all. So if we are going to be wary of posters it should include everyone not just one person we pick on because they may take business away from us.

Anyway, let's get back on topic, personally I would like to thank you kindly for your offer Doug, I am sure members will be very thankful of a friendly face when they arrive, I wish you had been around when we first arrived.

G'day all. Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate them. As for those who are doubtful, give me a call on 83877371 and drop in for a coffee. You can vet my wife Jenny and myself for yourselves. I can understand your apprehension but not all men are pedophiles or rapists or thugs. At 71 I'm a bit past all that anyway. Most of you young ladies can certainly run faster than me with your skirts up and me with my pants down.:biglaugh:

About 5 years ago I helped a young Chinese couple settle in Adelaide. Their English at the time was quite poor and I could have taken them for a ride. They are now very happily settled north of the city and Harris(New English name) has set up his own business. Email him at harris@ark-tech.com.au and I'm sure he will vouch for me and Jenny.

Yes, that is right.

Five years ago I moved to Adelaide with my family as a skilled migrate. I meet Doug in a flying forum (recreationalflying.com.au) when I was still in China. When he know that I will come to Adelaide he told me he can pick us up at Airport. Before that he also send the local newspaper "Advertiser" to my address in China with a cost about $30 to $50. I was very moved and appreciate because this paper have a lot of useful information for new migrants. We meet at the airport and Jenny also came with a teddy bear and balloons for my daughter. These made us feel more comfortable in a foreign country.

Today there are very few people would like to give a helping hand to other people let alone a person he don't know but Doug and Jenny are such people. I have lived in Adelaide for more than five years and we always keep in touch. Doug also gave me advise when I starting my business and he is one of my best friends in Australia. Doug told me that some people are dubious about his intention and I just put this post here to vouch that Doug just want to do something for the people around him.

Hope you all good in Australia.

Harris

I will quote the parts that are relevant to what I am replying to thank you, whether someone has been a member for 20 years or someone has been a member for 20 minutes makes no difference, nor does the amount of posts they make. The last family we took in I thought I knew really well unfortunately we didn't know them at all. So if we are going to be wary of posters it should include everyone not just one person we pick on because they may take business away from us.

Anyway, let's get back on topic, personally I would like to thank you kindly for your offer Doug, I am sure members will be very thankful of a friendly face when they arrive, I wish you had been around when we first arrived.

Yes but by quoting only parts of it - it only gives part of the picture of what I've said. My meaning wasn't as harsh as you stated. And I think you are making some unkind assumptions about me and "taking business away". I am a small business and don't have lots of staff and can't offer airport pick ups. I've usually referred them to other PIA members who have offered this in the past. My comments come from my cautious nature. I think I am allowed to express those like anyone else.

I agree we should get back on topic.....or onto another thread.

Yes, that is right.

Five years ago I moved to Adelaide with my family as a skilled migrate. I meet Doug in a flying forum (recreationalflying.com.au) when I was still in China. When he know that I will come to Adelaide he told me he can pick us up at Airport. Before that he also send the local newspaper "Advertiser" to my address in China with a cost about $30 to $50. I was very moved and appreciate because this paper have a lot of useful information for new migrants. We meet at the airport and Jenny also came with a teddy bear and balloons for my daughter. These made us feel more comfortable in a foreign country.

Today there are very few people would like to give a helping hand to other people let alone a person he don't know but Doug and Jenny are such people. I have lived in Adelaide for more than five years and we always keep in touch. Doug also gave me advise when I starting my business and he is one of my best friends in Australia. Doug told me that some people are dubious about his intention and I just put this post here to vouch that Doug just want to do something for the people around him.

Hope you all good in Australia.

Harris

Harris, how nice of you to come on and post this to set people's minds at rest. I think sometimes we forget that there are genuinely nice people around who help people out purely out of the goodness of their hearts: one of the prayers at my children's school includes a line about "to give and not to count the cost" - it's so lovely to know that there are people around that still do this.

PS I had to google the line from the prayer - I knew I'd heard it somewhere as it stuck in my mind, but I thought it was from Rudyard Kipling's poem, not a prayer!

Guest guest8040

I've taken Doug up on his very kind offer and had a little chat by pm in which he has been very helpful (don't know if you got my second message Doug? Pm's not showing as sent). If me, my husband and 2 kids end up buried in the outback you can say 'I told you so' but be warned Doug if you're thinking of robbing us you chose the wrong family as you'll be sorely disappointed! Haha. It's funny you know how our minds can be conditioned and how society has evolved to be super suspicious but I'm willing to take the risk as I think this is a genuine offer from someone happy to help others and I for one appreciate it. To be honest we would be taking a similar risk getting into a taxi I feel and we wouldn't have the opportunity to get to know the taxi driver beforehand.

• 2 months later...
Guest guest8040

Well I would like to say a very public thank you to Doug the SUPERSTAR! We were kindly collected by him from the airport, waiting to take a family photo of us when we came through arrivals. He then collected us and our 10 cases/bags together popped them in his trailer and drove us to our rental with great chat along the way. When we arrived he helped us find out how to get into the rental which was problematic, unloaded our 10 pieces of luggage then presented us with a load of printed useful info, map of Noarlunga, the free local paper and most amazingly everything we needed to fuel us for breakfast. So for all you doubters I can say this is just a genuinely friendly, giving human being who we as a family are very grateful we had to meet us on arrival. Doug THANK YOU very very much from all of us (even though after you told my eldest it was genuine Aussie orange juice, he now thinks you are the Australian equivalent of the man from Del Monte!)

Hi Doug:

Just a line to say you sound like a good guy to me. Can I be in your gang? :smile: All good wishes to you and Jenny. Cheers!