Guest vikkiann

Import Tax

Guest vikkiann

I've read loads of mumbo jumbo and none of it makes any sense to me!

Can someone tell me .... Do you know what tax we have to pay on imported goods?

Obviously, the amount of goods is over $1000!

Vikki

xx

Guest vikkiann

Sorted now guys. I spoke to a very nice man at customs who was ever so helpful!

So for anyone else who might like the information:

[h=3]Goods with a declared or assessed value over A$1,000[/h]You will be sent a First Notice by Australia Post if you have imported goods with a declared or assessed value of more than A$1,000.

In this case, you need to lodge an import declaration to Customs and Border Protection for the goods. The declaration will be assessed for duty, GST and Wine Equalisation Tax (if applicable). An import processing charge will also apply. Customs and Border Protection will advise you of the amount you need to pay before your parcel will be delivered to you.

Customs and Border Protection cannot allow goods with a value over A$1,000 to be delivered by Australia Post until an import declaration is made and any liability for duty, taxes and charges is paid in full. There may also be AQIS requirements to be met before Australia Post can deliver your goods.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp#GoodswithadeclaredorassessedvalueoverA1000

Google is your friend :wink:

Guest vikkiann

Generally it works out at 20% of what you paid, it doesn't matter what the rrp is

Hi

Just saw your post. Do you know the answer to my query. I have bought bedroom furniture for two rooms in the UK. The total for the two rooms is approx£1,000. Does this mean I will have to pay tax . I also gather this tax is only on stuff you have bought in the last 12 months and ot for sofa etc that are worth more than that bit bought 5 years ago.

I have tried to find out but have had no luck x

Kathy x

Guest magicsprout
    Hi

Just saw your post. Do you know the answer to my query. I have bought bedroom furniture for two rooms in the UK. The total for the two rooms is approx£1,000. Does this mean I will have to pay tax . I also gather this tax is only on stuff you have bought in the last 12 months and ot for sofa etc that are worth more than that bit bought 5 years ago.

I have tried to find out but have had no luck x

Kathy x

if you are still in the uk and this stuff is coming by container with your other possessions, how will they know its brand new especially with no labels on and a good dosing of furniture polish