Guest Mojoanna

Advice please

Guest Mojoanna

Hi guys hope you can help with some advice pleas, I went to an expo today and was told that family's who goes to Oz on a 457 visa will have to pay around $8000 in school fees per year! Is this right!

Guest Claire-n-tel

hi Mojoanna!

ok i dont have kids so prob someone else will know more but from what i know it depends what state and public or private school. i think if they go to a private school you can get charged international student fees i dont know how much that is. at a public school, as far as i know south aust does not charge anything extra for 457 holders.

dont rely on this answer completely as i said it is not from personal experience!

claire

Guest ebstar

I'm sure you pay the same as everyone else for public but not sure on private. We pay $295 for primary per year plus another $45ish that covers loads of trips to zoo's,swimming,museums,end of year pizza parties etc. Secondary we pay $400 and the only extra would be for specific subjects if taken eg: home economics $15.

I think there is some confusion as other states (such as NSW) do charge international fees for 457 holders, but here in South Australia you pay exactly the same as the locals do - which is about $200-$1000 a year in state schools (dependent on year and school) and anything from about $3000 to $30,000 in private schools (again dependent on year and school).

Guest k.minsh

Hi,yes the info i got regarding this was often conflicting depending on source,but yes from my understanding you have to pay for education and are not entitled to medicare!Thats why we`ve gone down the skilled migrant route.