Sign in to follow this  
Guest dishco

Health Insurance - Basic Advice Requested

Guest dishco

Hi all,

There's a couple of threads on here which already touch on health insurance, but don't ask the questions i would like to ask.

Hopefully someone can help as it's a bit confusing compared to the situation at home.

I gather that it's a sensible option to take out some form of private cover if you can afford it. Having only been through the Australian hospital system once, about 10 years ago, I'd ask the general question of whether there's any great value in taking out private hospital cover when both myself and my wife have medicare? From what we've been reading, even if you have private hospital cover you can end up paying out money on top of any excess. Is the public system reasonably fit for purpose or would private be the best way to go?

I think we're decided on the fact that we'll be getting extras cover, at whatever level we can stretch to. In this regard i was wondering if there would be any kind of advice as to who to go with or who to avoid or whatever? I know this is like asking what's your favourite food (everyone has their own opinions), but we have zero experience of any kind of the insurance market and it's company's over here and so any advice would be welcomed.

Also, if you think there's any other basic information which might be of help. Like i say, we're starting from scratch on this subject.

Thanks.

Guest Ajwilko27

hi. We took out extras health insurance, did not bother with the hospital. From my research it seemed that on top of paying for the insurance, we would have to pay alot more money, compared to nothing going public. I had both my kids in public hospitals and would highly recommend the care that i recieved. It may not be like that for everyone tho. Our extras includes ambulance cover, basic dental, optical and couple of others i cant remember. We have family cover, the kids are free till they are 21. We are with medibank and i found them to be the cheapest and best value for us, but it depends on what you want it for, as who to choose and what cover you want.

Guest dishco

Thanks for the response and your POV.

You've more or less confirmed what we were thinking, but good to get someone else's opinion.