If You could rewind would you still choose Adelaide??

Guest Kel87

As the title states really, knowing what you know now if you could start over again would you still choose Adelaide?

Has it been everything you expected?

If you would choose somewhere different, why?

Those with kids do you feel you've gave them a good start in life or limited their options by moving to SA as opposed to other states? Kids won't always be kids and parks and beaches are only good for so long, soon they'll want adventures, university, a choice of careers, do you feel Adelaide offers them that?

For me Adelaide seems much more suited to my family and I than other states do, just ordering if those who felt like me before arriving still do now your actually living it?

Guest Claire-n-tel

We didn't actually "choose" Adelaide but ended up here through circumstance......loong story! But the thought that we may have to move away in the maybe not to distant future makes us very sad :(

We spent a year in a camper van doing a big trip around oz the year before we moved permanently and didn't really like Adelaide that much for some reason! But having been here for almost 3 years we now love it!

We were looking at Adelaide and Melbourne. We had never been to Adelaide and knew nobody here but had previously visited Melbourne to stay with friends a few years before emigrating. As it happened we thought that Melbourne was great and could be happy there although it was a little more fast paced than where we previously lived. We thought Adelaide may be a little more suited to us and had work to come to and so here we are. Almost a couple of years in and love it,definately staying. As for the kids In the UK we only managed to to do cubs/scouts for the kids as an out of school activity. Here they joined the local surf club,swimming,guitar,dance lessons,cricket,basketball,pedal prix. The availability of a diverse range of subjects and courses suited to both academic and practical skilled kids, I personally feel opens far more doors for them as they venture into work.

For our family, life here is great. Thats not to say its perfect (where is ?) but it's home and we are here to stay.

Yes and no...

Whilst I do love it here and has every thing we need now. I sometimes wonder if it would have been better off in Brisbane or Gold Coast. Mainly for my husbands work basically there is more off it there that in it's self is a problem as that in turns means higher cost etc...

I do still think that we may move but the thought of moving makes me sick, I could not imagine doing it but then who knows what the future holds. By our very nature of moving here we are always looking for something :)

Been here three years and brought our own house the kids are very settled and have good friends so in a way I hope we make the best of what we have here :-)

Not sure we'd have done anything different, but I'd think long and hard if doing it now. When we started the journey Australia was seen as being cheaper than the UK and Adelaide cheaper than the rest of Aus. Exchange rates were good, SA was on the cusp of a resources boom and the state was about to transform.

Fast forward to now, and Australia isn't cheap and Adelaide isn't any cheaper than most parts of Aus. Exchange rates aren't good (if you're coming here from the UK - rather nice if you're going the other way!), some insist that SA is still on the cusp of a resources boom ... well, you get the point!

It's not all about finance, I know, but it's certainly an important factor.

We enjoy it here and are currently settled but I'm not sure it's got enough to keep us here long term.

Jim

I agree with Jim, if you are looking at various parts of Australia in terms of the general economic outlook, South Australia generally fares a lot worse than the other states in terms of unemployment, job opportunities etc.

Tasmania is generally the worse performer and Victoria is going through a bad patch at the moment. Queensland has good and bad sectors and Western Australia is booming. When you read stats that GDP growth is good, if you break it down by state it paints a different picture

for Q3 2013 best to worst - WA +2.3%, ACT +0.6%, NSW +0.1%, VIC -0.2%, TAS -1.5%, QLD -1.6%, NT -2.9%, SA -3.2%

SA always has been a poor relation to other states, but there was the big resources boom and the promise of great riches from Olympic Dam which hasn't come to fruition. House prices are cheaper here for a reason, but we are the highest taxed state I believe. A friend of mine who lives in Brisbane pays $250 p.a high school fees for an excellent state school, whereas here I am paying $800 plus. Obviously economics isn't everything, (there are lifestyle factors to consider) and if you are in education, health care or aged care you will never be out of a job. However, if anything happened to Holden there would be a lot of unemployment. If you want to get rich 'go West!'

Great answers! Without actually having been to Adelaide it just appeals much more to me than other states, my husband on the other hand would love to go to the Gold Coast.

Im not into big city living at all! The thought of Melbourne being similar to London in ways is more than enough to put me off. I may come from Glasgow but have always wanted to live somewhere quieter for many years.

My family live in the Amish area of Pennsylvania and I love visiting them! Unfortunately there's no way of getting a visa at all. The area they live in is classed as rural but only short drives from everything they need, cinemas, shopping malls, super markets, 2 hour drive from Philadelphia.

Me obtaining a job is my main worry, have spoken to hospitals in Perth and the response is very positive, appears to be numerous jobs there for me, the expansion of joondalup hospital has created many nursing vacancies in that hospital alone, however unless my husband could get a 9-5 mon-fri job then we could never move there, my wage alone I very much doubt would get us by in Perth and if he couldn't get day hour work then it wouldn't work for the kids, who would look after if we're both nightshift, back shift, weekends??

we are applying for a 189 visa as to always keep our options open, il most likely apply for jobs in Adelaide and the Gold Coast/Brisbane and go from there, I know there is a job freeze in qld tho. Looking at costs although Brisbane seems a lot more costly than Adelaide the Gold Coast seems very similar, rents are very similar and although it away from Brisbane the GC seems to be a small city in itself, hospital etc.