Carpenters? is there plenty of work in Adelaide

Guest gormusoglu

Guest gormusoglu

Hi everyone, me again. Can I ask if there is a good chance for a carpenter to find work in Adelaide? Anything from fromwork to 2nd fix?

We have been advised to go Regional, which I love the sound of Adelaide so it is my first choice, but wondering whether Perth would give my husband more opportunity to find work. Its one of those horrible dilemma decisions! We can't afford to visit both to see first.

Any advise appreciated.

:swoon:we already have major siteworks at the New Adelaide Hospital and The Adelaide Oval. In addition, there will be more new consruction going in the Adelaide CBD than ever before this coming year. There will also be a lot of residential work in the Bowden development and Gilberton areas adjacent to the city centre.

-So I'd be surprised if you couldn't pick up form work, at the very least.

JB

JB

Hi everyone, me again. Can I ask if there is a good chance for a carpenter to find work in Adelaide? Anything from fromwork to 2nd fix?

We have been advised to go Regional, which I love the sound of Adelaide so it is my first choice, but wondering whether Perth would give my husband more opportunity to find work. Its one of those horrible dilemma decisions! We can't afford to visit both to see first.

Any advise appreciated.

House building is very slow so a lot of trades are moving about just now trying to find work, There is work out there its just hard to finding it is a case of who you know not what you know here. It may take a while or you could be lucky and land on your feet.I know of some people that are flat out and others that are strugling for work as I said its who you know..

Guest gormusoglu

Nope, not a sausage jonny no cash! I sent an email to kenny construction through their website and to be honest, not sure it went. Didn't get a proper page saying sent if that makes sense. Thought I would wait a month as you said it takes a time for them to reply, and then send another one.

We are looking at me applying for a 'student visa' and then my hubby can look for a sponsor whilst he is there. BIG risk with 3 kids in tow, but it is our last resort.

Went to a expo on Saturday and met a migration agent looking into me possibly doing a rsms visa, but have no high hopes on that one really. I am keeping plugging on applying for jobs in carpentry for hubby, but at the expo everyone we spoke to said 'don't hold your breath!'. Apparently a lot of tradies are sub-contractors which is yet another issue on top of there are a lot of carpenters already there to take up the jobs instantly.

Hopefully the agent is calling me this week and then we can make a decision on what to do.

Guest jonny no cash

Sorry to hear that,Its a different ball game getting construction jobs when you are actually over here,I would consider giving Liscon and Kennys a phone call,they are both Irish companies who recruit from the UK but just depends what work they have coming up.

Guest gormusoglu

Thanks 'jonny no cash', I think that there are more and more tradies over there so no need to use 457. However, thats why we are considering the student visa for me so that my hubby can hopefully have more of a chance to find work there. Will give them a call though, what harm can it do?! Are both those companies in Adelaide at present on a project?

Also, I hope your name 'jonny no cash' is not actually your status lol! I have high hopes for Australia!!

Guest dondon75
Sorry to hear that,Its a different ball game getting construction jobs when you are actually over here,I would consider giving Liscon and Kennys a phone call,they are both Irish companies who recruit from the UK but just depends what work they have coming up.

Would you be able to give some contact details for Liscon and kennys for work.

House building is very slow so a lot of trades are moving about just now trying to find work, There is work out there its just hard to finding it is a case of who you know not what you know here. It may take a while or you could be lucky and land on your feet.I know of some people that are flat out and others that are struggling for work as I said its who you know..

So true. I was talking to a colleague and one of his kids decided to go over to WA recently to work in the mines (as we know a hard gig to get into) and his friend got him in, then he left and came back to SA and walked straight into a bricklaying job, surprise surprise a friend of his who subbies and is flat out with work. Classic example of 2 industries and as you say it's all about who you know and your contacts.