Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest8040

Car seats - need to know!

Guest guest8040

Can someone clear up for me, the car seat regs in Australia? I have 2 sons one of whom will be 8 when we arrive in April who is very tall and currently uses a Britax booster seat here. My 5 year old is average height and sits on a Graco booster seat with a back on and headrest (designed for those 4+). Is it worth bringing what they currently use and if not what rules will apply when we get there? Cheers!

Your UK car seats are illegal in Aus. Top tether install is used with Aus car seats.

You can buy decent ones when you arrive. Check the CREP results for the most recent safety tests. The results are drop down when you click on a seat etc.

http://www.crep.com.au/crep-results.php

Also I posted a thread about car seats on here and over on PIO. The PIO thread is more up to date

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/123214-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

IIRC they do make a couple of car seats now that are highback booster for children over 8. The Aus car seat standards go on height markers not age. Personally, if you can find one for your older child I'd use it, even if the legal requirement is past, if they fit one, keep them in it.

Any questions, drop me a PM :)

Aus car seats are fitted with a seatbelt and top tether. This is a strap that anchors into the boot of the car (or sometimes the top of the seat iirc). There is no Isofix at present in Aus but it is (slowly) on its way.

The top tether basically keeps the seat more secure on impact. It is used alongside the seatbelt install. So having both means the car seats are secure and fitted safely.

For your age group the tethers would be in the top of the car seat and a strap would run to the tether point and be secured and the seatbelt would go round your child like it does in the UK and then keep child in car seat.