Attitude to the Environment

zebedee

Now, I realize that as someone who has brought their family to Australia I am essentially adding to the pressure on resources so hopefully I am not being overly hypocritical with this post, but in the short time we've been here, I've been saddened by some of the stuff I've been reading in the news with regards protecting the amazing fauna and flora of Australia, or rather, lack of it. The latest is the Tarkine area in Tassy being opened up to mining. Even on a smaller level, stopping around the state at viewing points, the amount of dumped rubbish is really sad too. I really hope that us being here is not compounding the problem.

For reference: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/ore-values-over-core-values-as-labor-gives-tarkine-to-miners-20130219-2epdp.html

Guest Claire-n-tel

it always amazes me how little solar power on houses is used in Oz, aparently only around one in seven, although it is said to be highest in south australia :) I wonder when/if it will become law to have it on all new builds at least?

it always amazes me how little solar power on houses is used in Oz, aparently only around one in seven, although it is said to be highest in south australia :) I wonder when/if it will become law to have it on all new builds at least?

There is a lot of solar on houses now compared to back in the 90s, when there was none. I remember going to the USA in 1990 and out in places like Arizona there were solar panels on houses everywhere. When I came to Australia I was expecting it to be the same and was amazed how behind the times they were, especially considering the amount of sunshine you get here. Here there have recently been schemes to encourage people to get solar, but these have been wound down a lot, which just leaves those of us without solar (generally renters and the less well off) subsidising those with solar (generally the better off).

Don't get me started on things like insulation, double glazing etc. I remember watching a TV program many years ago where a house somewhere in Victoria (where it can get very cold) had the hot water tank inside the house, in a cupboard where they kept towels and linen. This was seen as a revolutionary eco-friendly idea - they had just re-invented the airing cupboard!

"Re-invented the airing cupboard!"

That's funny!

We went to Mount Gambier recently and saw the blue lake - which is very impressive. However, water levels are falling and it could be at risk - well, would they have anything to do with the pumping station taking all the water out by any chance?!