Any advice for changing career?

Guest Lorraine Doyle

Guest Lorraine Doyle

Hey everyone,

Haven't been on for a long time. My life has changed so much in the last 3 years. I'm finding working here very stressful and intimidating. The last couple of jobs I've had I find I get crap for my work ethic and time keeping. I have always believed in working hard and working to the best of my ability including arriving early and staying late if the task I'm completing requires it.

My last employer verbally attacked me over a previous employees work and it left me devastated.

Are there any other people out there experiencing the same and if so how do they overcome it. Please don't ask me to toughen up or make cruel comments as I'm genuinely feeling like a failure right now.....

My job before coming here I was in for 14 years and had risen to running the business. :embarressed:

All advice will be really appreciated.

Hi There - have you thought about doing some study ? One thing I've learnt is that, over here in oz, they do like you to have a certificate for nearly everything. So, maybe look at doing a Cert IV in Business, it might give you a few more opportunities. Have a look at the "Skills for All" website as there's loads of funding. Also, have a look at the non for profit organisations as (from my experience ) seem to have a more relaxed working environment. It is so hard finding the right work place over here and sometimes it is just luck !! Fingers crossed for you

Hi Lorraine - it is tough out there. I've been in similar situations to you, let's face it when you have to work with unscrupulous people who are probably jealous of your work ethic they try to tear you down. The best thing to do I have found is - to leave, especially if the person who is giving you grief is a manager. Get yourself another job first if you can. I've put up with a lot of bad treatment from employers in my life and I think partly it's because I could hear my parents saying "don't leave that job without having another job" ....and it is not always easy to find another job when you are trying to balance your current responsibilities. The other thing to do is to go to some training sessions on how to cope with "bad people". I am pretty sure it isn't framed that way. Assertiveness training helps, but people don't like assertive people either and they get a bit tetchy when you try to stand up for your rights. I guess there are bullies everywhere you go. I am not sure if I've helped in anyway but I've found that my current attitude of not feeling "trapped" in a particular job has certainly helped my outlook and feelings. I still get stressed but not as much. I've learnt to ignore some things. Good luck to you and don't worry. There are a lot of people being treated the exact same way and I think you have to get a "coping" mechanism in place or "leave" as all that negativeness isn't good in anyones life. We work to live.