Guest stormywhether

Snorkelling and surfing (to learn) - best places around Adelaide?

Guest stormywhether

Good lord I'm all about the 'mither' today!!! Please be patient with me, I'll repay you in spades with wit and average intellect when we eventually move over to be in your lovely city!!!

Reccie talk again - we want to know where to go snorkelling in the region. And we'd love to try out surfing too, but don't have a clue about any companies offering tuition and the like.

We're not hiring a car unless it's absolutely necessary. If it's worth it, we'll certainly consider it.

Thank you for your absolute patience and recommendations!

Stormy

Guest graandjac

;)Not sure where you are staying but lots of the southern beaches have surf clubs .

Moana has a great surf club with food and drinks available , Port Noarlunga has a much smaller one which is in a lovely spot just across the wooden footbridge nestled amongst the sand dunes and Christies beach (i think) had one , not sure about there being any further north but iam sure there is As for the snorkling not sure , there is a man made reef of Port norlunga beach about 100m off shore so i guess there must be some snorkling off this. Enjoy your reccie, Cheers Graham

Does anyone know where I can book some surfing lessons for my 7 year old this Easter?

Anywhere from Brighton down to South Coast would be OK. A link or a phone number would be useful, especially somewhere that is child-friendly.

I think the only places that teach surfing are down at goolwa beach, cos the surf isn't much on the suburban beaches due to the protection of the Gulf. Your best bet is to google it using adelaide or south australia specifically. most of the people I know who surf go down to Middleton or Goolwa. if starpped for time they use the far southern beaches, but it depends on the surf. Surfing lessons are sometimes advertised in the surfy shops, also get your hands on a free copy of Kids In Adelaide newspaper. They would have them in Burnside library, they are good to tell you whats on for kids in Adelaide.

Don't be fooled by the suburban surf clubs these are surf life saving clubs with volunteers who patrol the beaches. They usually offer meals and drinks on the side as fund raising.

Rachel

Guest chippie74

i had lessons and the guy was 1st class..just i dont have the chemical in my brain which tells me to stand up!!! hes name is mark orr ( surf culture ) based in seaford 83272802....i think thats the number

Guest graandjac

Hi Joanne, there was a surf club at Moana Beach and another at Port Noarlunga , i know they do lessions because we sat on the beach and watch loads of kids having ago, in what looked like different level groups. Good luck hope you crack it;) hope to be there soon , Cheers Graham & Jacqui

i had lessons and the guy was 1st class..just i dont have the chemical in my brain which tells me to stand up!!! hes name is mark orr ( surf culture ) based in seaford 83272802....i think thats the number

Ben and I had a surfing lesson today with Surf Culture. We met at Moana at 10 but there was no surf so drove down to Goolwa where it was really good. It was $40 for 2 hours including softboards and wetsuits. We had about 5-10 mins of practice on the beach then out for an hour or so then a bit more back on the beach.

Goolwa is a great place to learn as you can go out quite a long way and still be in your depth and the waves were pretty regular. The instructor was great with Ben and had a couple of one on one sessions with him. He thought it was brilliant and can't wait to go next weekend. If you have 4 sessions you only pay for 3, so you get 8 hours for $120.

Mind you the day became a bit more expensive as I got nicked for speeding - 91 in a 70 at the end of the expressway and now have a £300 fine. Seemed a bit steep - Is it more on a public holiday?

No its cos youwere doing 20 above the speed limit. The fine goes up according to speed and you get demerit points too. 12 demerits and you lose licence for 3 months. Sorry your day was spoilt with a fine, it is too easy to speed on that express way.

Guest soggy
    Ben and I had a surfing lesson today with Surf Culture. We met at Moana at 10 but there was no surf so drove down to Goolwa where it was really good. It was $40 for 2 hours including softboards and wetsuits. We had about 5-10 mins of practice on the beach then out for an hour or so then a bit more back on the beach.

Goolwa is a great place to learn as you can go out quite a long way and still be in your depth and the waves were pretty regular. The instructor was great with Ben and had a couple of one on one sessions with him. He thought it was brilliant and can't wait to go next weekend. If you have 4 sessions you only pay for 3, so you get 8 hours for $120.

Mind you the day became a bit more expensive as I got nicked for speeding - 91 in a 70 at the end of the expressway and now have a £300 fine. Seemed a bit steep - Is it more on a public holiday?

do they do outsize wet suits and teach men in there forties that believe they are still 21 ?

Simon:)

My husband says, for snorkelling: Port Noarlunga (walk to end of jetty, walk down the ladder and you're in a marine reserve).