Container costs

ails

Guest maxfactornackerlacker

I managed to negotiate mine down to 3400 for a 20ft container - and also negotiated free insurance which saved another few hundred quid. Make sure you haggle

Good luck

Max

Anything up to £4500 seems normal these days. But get plenty of quotes in and haggle. Don't just go for whoever is cheapest.

Many people say its better to get separate insurance and not take out the movers own policy. IYM and Letton Percival are two that people seem to use for this purpose.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest8040

We haggled down to £3600 but were told there was to be an expected rise in march (can't remember what it was exactly but all companies were saying it) so ours went up to £3800

We used Robinsons - we paid £2500 for 20ft, not yet received other side yet as we don't fly out until April. We took out our own insurance through letton pervical much much cheaper premium than Robinsons were offering. However I wouldn't use shipping company again as I have had nothing but issues since the start.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

an update on quotes.

ive had four companies round - all very charming! Quotes varied by £600 to start with. I've been negotiating and got one down to £3670 plus insurance of course .... I think it's worth trying a little harder.

​My question is - anyone in south east having 20foot container 710 cubic feet approx shipping approx first week June - any better quotes that I can use to bargain with? I'm sure people were saying before they had better than that.

all help appreciated.

Many thanks

Ails

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

Would anyone like to share a container?

We are leaving in July, But are happy to put our stuff in container in June. We are in the Wirral, North West England. We have been quoted £3300 not inc insurance for just under 700 cubic feet. By Anglo We would like to get it down further. It seems that a full container is around £4-5000 is that right- so we could split it.

:cute: lailanpete

Hi,

my packers are actually in the house as I type this! I went with John mason, cheapest, nice people to deal with and the packers seem good. I paid 3700 for 710 cubic feet, own container - wanted to only pay 3500 but couldn't get it! Insurance on top.

One company, who I won't name, quoted me and then reduced the price but neglected to tell me that they had changed it from sole to shared container.... It was hidden on the last page of the new quote -was very angry and complained cos I nearly accepted the quote and I thought I had read everything... Buyer beware....

good luck

ails

hi,

one thing that I have not noticed being said... while every one is comparing prices, its also down to what you are shipping. the cost of shipping a 20ft container with say 10 items that fill the container, as apposed to a 20ft container filled with 100 items will be less due to less handling /staff required to fill, empty etc.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

an update....

my container arrived last Thursday (took approx 10 weeks from pick up) and was unpacked by Wridgeways. So far everything seems great - no damages, breakages or problems that I have come across. The guys both sides of the move were great and took care of my things. Highly recommend John Mason for price and service if you are looking for a good company.

Ails