British Couple to be Deported from Australia

Ktee

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-suburb.html

They chose a visa that states they must live in regional Queensland, there is no way on this earth they wouldn't have known. I think it is about time migrants were clamped down on, not only migrants but employers sponsoring on a 457 as well.

I also don't agree with people being sponsored by a specific state and then jumping ship and moving away, I know there is a loop hole that allows this but again I don't think it's right.

I think rather than being deported they should be given 28 days to find a job/house in a regional area and a slapped wrist or maybe a fine, but then why should the government have to go out of their way to help this family.

Hate to be harsh but have to say it serves them right! What I don't think is fair is those people that make a really big effort to get a visa, spend a lot of money and even retrain to fulfil the conditions, and then a couple like this obviously take the easy option and hope they don't get found out, or assume if they do they'll get a smack on the wrist and be let off! Well, they did get found out, and have got more than a slap on the wrist as a result - maybe they're unlucky but in this case the government has made an example of them, which hopefully will act as a deterrent to anybody thinking of doing the same and cutting a few corners.

I guess we will all our views on this situation. FWIW, as a 32 year citizen, I think that after 5 years, over which they have worked and proved their worth, they should be allowed to go anywhere in the country, regardless of which type on visa they came on.

POOR SHOW the department concerned. No common sense being shown here.

I agree that there should be some common sense. It seems a bit harsh. If I read the article right then they are only 5kms away from where they were supposed to be.

I think the difference is they were supposed to live in a rural/regional area, and they have not. I would think this is something they probably could have pretty easily checked before now.

Difficult one this one. Yes they have been paying into the Australian economy and set up home only 3 miles from where they should. However, they knew the rules of the visa ( or should have) and as such should have set up home in the correct area.

There are boundaries on this visa for a reason and if we think of it that something may affect us like a neighbour building an extension 3 foot on to your land - would you be happy. Or erecting a fence and taking 3 foot of your land would you be okay with that? In both the examples would you just say 'oh well, let bygones be bygones and apply common sense'?

Having said the above it would be considerably wrong of the Australian Government if they do not publicise more such cases of them deporting people back as they have broken their Visa's rules.

There was something on the TV news last night about 457 visas being tightened up, and made very difficult to get in future as they are being rorted so much.

Probably following on from the article that was in Saturdays Advertiser that I started a thread on.....

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/36174-clamp-down-457-visas-announced.html

Guest gormusoglu

I applaud Australia for it's migrant programmes and being stricked on who comes in and remove them if they break the rules. However, is it really breaking the rules?! I think that they should be given the opportunity to find work and live in the area specified. It looks like they tried to find work in their specified area and then found it 3 miles away. The employer and rental company should have checked their visa!

If they were really people trying to defeat the system, they would not have applied for permanent residency. They tried to become residence and then got found out. How many others are doing the same? Australia is not fool proof, there are people living there with no visa!

It is too harsh, but maybe this will be a warning to those who do the same, and maybe to employers too!

Good luck to George and Lana xx

Difficult one this one. Yes they have been paying into the Australian economy and set up home only 3 miles from where they should. However, they knew the rules of the visa ( or should have) and as such should have set up home in the correct area.

There are boundaries on this visa for a reason and if we think of it that something may affect us like a neighbour building an extension 3 foot on to your land - would you be happy. Or erecting a fence and taking 3 foot of your land would you be okay with that? In both the examples would you just say 'oh well, let bygones be bygones and apply common sense'?

Having said the above it would be considerably wrong of the Australian Government if they do not publicise more such cases of them deporting people back as they have broken their Visa's rules.

It may be a case of making an example of someone to make a point and under the current climate this couple happen to be the 'examples'!

In my opinion, Australia (compared to the UK) can appear harsh and I think people who have perhaps not lived here do not realise this or maybe have not been a situation yet where they have encountered this. An example of this is at one place I worked an employee ran out of sick pay (which can happen very quickly over here when you only get 10 days a year and have to accrue it) and was to go onto no pay. The employee rang up with a sob story about not having any money, the HR Managers response was "we have an income protection scheme, it was their choice not to pay into it - no pay". I am not saying this would be the response from all employers, but just highlighting an example and at the end of the day, the employee did make the decision not to have the insurance - it was their decision.

I think generally for a lot of people here employees would find employers quite harsh in comparison to the uk.Holidays and sickness leave can be very restrictive.For example in the uk my husband was given 5 weeks holiday to use through the yr.Here holidays have to be accued and his employers in the motor trade close for 3-4 weeks over the christmas period so his holidays have to be taken at their discretion.Without family support,such restrictions have alot of practical impacts which should not be underestimated .He has had 2 days sick in 7yrs and on both occasions for one day off each time was asked to provide a sick note,ridiculous and stupid when you are ill.

In addition ,income protection schemes may not be affordable .In the uk we both had income protection ,on one wage here we just cant afford it.So often its not necessarily someones decision not to protect themselves.Circumstances beyond their control prevail.

Employment practices here are quite draconian for a lot of people.The problem here is that a lot of employers are small businesses and are therefore answerable to no one and is sadly reflected in a lot of questionable employment practice.

In the event you have been in a long term stable job in the uk with good family friendly flexible work terms you will likely get a shock here.

Uk is perhaps too generous to the employee,but here slanted far in favour of the employer.Depends on your trade and profession of course.

Long term illness is a serious worry here thats for sure.If you can get income protection,its certainly in your best interest to do so.

Immigration decision in my opinion was not a fair one.

Sue

I think generally for a lot of people here employees would find employers quite harsh in comparison to the uk.Holidays and sickness leave can be very restrictive.For example in the uk my husband was given 5 weeks holiday to use through the yr.Here holidays have to be accued and his employers in the motor trade close for 3-4 weeks over the christmas period so his holidays have to be taken at their discretion.Without family support,such restrictions have alot of practical impacts which should not be underestimated .He has had 2 days sick in 7yrs and on both occasions for one day off each time was asked to provide a sick note,ridiculous and stupid when you are ill.

In addition ,income protection schemes may not be affordable .In the uk we both had income protection ,on one wage here we just cant afford it.So often its not necessarily someones decision not to protect themselves.Circumstances beyond their control prevail.

Employment practices here are quite draconian for a lot of people.The problem here is that a lot of employers are small businesses and are therefore answerable to no one and is sadly reflected in a lot of questionable employment practice.

In the event you have been in a long term stable job in the uk with good family friendly flexible work terms you will likely get a shock here.

Uk is perhaps too generous to the employee,but here slanted far in favour of the employer.Depends on your trade and profession of course.

Long term illness is a serious worry here thats for sure.If you can get income protection,its certainly in your best interest to do so.

Immigration decision in my opinion was not a fair one.

Sue

Sue

Another option for income protection and insurances is to take it out through your super, then it comes out as part of their process rather than 'paying' upfront for it.

You make some good points regarding work practices. I see it time and time again, working in HR/recruitment/project roles, people receiving their DCM's (Don't Come Monday) and the majority of people don't see it coming or they are not very good at seeing the signs and don't know when they should be looking for another job and getting out. I have a friend (an Aussie) who has been to hell and back due to work, I could see the writing on the wall and knew it would end badly and I kept advising them to get out and get another job, I helped them with their resume and found them jobs to apply for which I knew they would stand a good chance of getting an interview for, but they didn't leave and you would not believe what has happened (the person is now selling their house to raise some money). I am certainly not saying my friend is at fault and I do not condone what has happened, but I see the reality of what happens in workplaces.

That is a good point about the super.

Employers here seem to be frightenly cavalier with peoples lives.

In addition with the current climate economically there is not the same ability to move between jobs as easily.

I know money is important but having a job you enjoy is also essential to your quality of life.That probably applies much more so to a migrant.

It is highly probable you wont settle if you are miserable in your everyday work life.

A lot of aussies do intend to be very naive about their treatment by employers,but in a lot of cases it is the perceived and or accepted norm,but we have seen better practices in the uk,that is why to us it is questionable.

Jessica,were you in HR in the uk,if so it must be a pretty startling contrast for you.

Sue

That is a good point about the super.

Employers here seem to be frightenly cavalier with peoples lives.

In addition with the current climate economically there is not the same ability to move between jobs as easily.

I know money is important but having a job you enjoy is also essential to your quality of life.That probably applies much more so to a migrant.

It is highly probable you wont settle if you are miserable in your everyday work life.

A lot of aussies do intend to be very naive about their treatment by employers,but in a lot of cases it is the perceived and or accepted norm,but we have seen better practices in the uk,that is why to us it is questionable.

Jessica,were you in HR in the uk,if so it must be a pretty startling contrast for you.

Sue

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Yes, I was a HR Officer in the UK, so like you say a pretty startling contrast!!! I have been here 6 years now and it does not mean I agree with what goes on, but to quote the Aussies 'it is what it is'!

Sometimes you just have to laugh (or else you may go mad ha ha), like when I had an employer ring me and up and say they had been talking to the plumbers at this organisation and they think they would like to employ a nice young girl in the office, so did I have anyone suitable!!! But then like you say, in all seriousness this is people lives. My personal opinion is you need to keep yourself as employable as possible so you have options and make sure you have a backup plan. I don't want to be the people the recruitment agencies are telling me about who have lost their job and they are sitting crying and pleading with them to get them work because they are going to lose their houses.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Completely different circumstances, although the underlying trend seems that way.

Two sides to this deportation coin:

Yes:

they should have adhered to the terms of the visa on which they arrived. They agreed to do so when applying so what's changed? Nothing.

the Govt should not have to check visa compliance as the visa holder should automatically do the right thing

the visa process is long and complex and demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of legalities and requirements. How come they suddenly don't know where they are and are not allowed to reside and/or work? Really basic stuff - it's a postcode ffs.

No:

have found their feet in a strange country and made a go of it

economic refugees being permitted to stay/ boat people etc - double standards?

contributing to the community (a bit of a reach because anyone who works could be claimed to be contributing whet erh you're a neurosurgeon or a binman).

To be honest the reasons for kicking them out are based on legalities and the arguments for allowing them to remain are based on opinions. Common sense doesn't come into it because common sense would have made them abide by their visas in the first place.

So what about the Africans living off centrelink and paying nothing into the system.oh sorry thats racist

I am going to allow this comment but it is bordering on what will not be accepted on this forum - The 'Africans' you refer to are usually legitimately claiming centre link payments, it is the government you should take issue issue with and not the people who use the system they created. Most of us here are immigrants and quite a few will be using centrelink in one form or the other.

NWM

I am going to allow this comment but it is bordering on what will not be accepted on this forum - The 'Africans' you refer to are usually legitimately claiming centre link payments, it is the government you should take issue issue with and not the people who use the system they created. Most of us here are immigrants and quite a few will be using centrelink in one form or the other.

NWM

I think everyone knows my views on immigration, and to be honest I am disappointed that you have allowed so many comments to stay. This public forum is not a place for blatant racism, which the posts are IMO.

If people on here read the same being said about them on an africansinadelaide forum, they would be screaming blue murder.

Edited by adelaidenow
typo

I think everyone knows my views on immigration, and to be honest I am disappointed that you have allowed so many comments to stay. This public forum is not a place for blatant racism, which the posts are IMO.

If people on hear read the same being said about them on an africansinadelaide forum, they would be screaming blue murder.

I believe my views are very similar to your own, however I am here to moderate the forum and try not to let my own emotion or opinion get in the way of that. This topic is one that is hotly debated in the press and the views that I have left IMHO reflect that. my leaving some posts does not mean I agree with the views, just that I am aware that many people hold them. I will not tolerate derogatory terms or obvious racist comments but I think it is OK for people to debate this kind of subject within forum rules. Obviously if the thread goes downhill it will be closed.

NWM

Guest MandiMR2

well I think rules are rules, they are there for a reason & the couple to be deported should have adhered to their visa rules that they were well aware of. Yes I sympathise with the ordeal they are facing, however I also feel they should be accountable for their own negligence

Guest Guest11535

They must have known the conditions of their visa, if they were unsure then they should have asked the question. DIAC are approachable and a desk clerk could have told them the rules. Are we sympathising with them because they are British or because they broke the rules.

Sorry for being blunt but its my opinion.