Guest laura coldwell

Please help. TAX question

Guest laura coldwell

Hello ,

I am hoping that someoneon here may be able to help me. As you know with tax in the UK youdont get taxed on the first X anount of pounds you earn but theyspread this over the 12 month period. If we are leaving in August amI correct in thinking we will be owed a rebate if we have earnedunder our tax free allowance?

Any advice would beappreciated.

Thank you xx

Guest miknlou

sorry i dont know the tax laws Aussie end, however they dont do this over in the uk anymore.

Guest wijaya

Hi

At the end of the tax year, you could submit a tax return, and the tax office will then calculate your earnings and entitlement. So if you are owed, you will get a check and vice versa.. I did my tax return last year, 2 years after leaving the UK, and got a nice surprise when they said I had more than 7 k refund..

Yes, def apply for a refund - I left the UK in July 2012 and was able to claim the tax back from April 2012 to the point I left. I didn't even need to wait till the end of the year - just informed them I was off.

Guest laura coldwell
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-leave-uk.htm

Simply send form P85 with your P45 to the tax office and they will log that you are no longer resident in the UK for tax purposes and calculate your refund. They sent me a cheque to my Australian address which I just banked here. Simples!

Hey guys, thank for your help :) Mitchell how long did it take for you to get the cheque after putting in your forms? x