Jessica Berry

More negative publicity on the 457 visa

This issue seems to be gaining interest (not surprisingly in the current climate), I am wondering with the election coming up if we may see some changes to visas.....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/foreign-workers-manipulating-controversial-visa/story-e6frea6u-1226586304277

Edited by Jessica Berry

Although the official unemployment rate is still low, there has been a shift from full-time to part-time work, and while WA is booming there is a lot of pain in other states.

The government know that the outlook on the jobs front is looking down rather than up, and in an election year they want to show that they are doing something about it. No matter where you live, it can be very frustrating to be out of work, yet see overseas workers coming in and getting jobs.

There was an article on Current Affair the other week about newly qualified graduate nurses being unable to find work, and the inference was that there were a lot of overseas nurses being recruited with experience, who were getting the jobs instead, as this was an easy way out for the employers.

We all know there are people who will abuse the system, any system, that is life, but I think when you have genuinely gone through the process and done things the right way and waited your turn to come it is bound to annoy you. We had to wait for a couple of years to apply so my partner could get the required work experience and then the process took 18 months start to finish, but that was the rules and we followed them.

A friend then comes over on a working holiday visa, starts working as a receptionist/administrator over in Perth (which I am sure would not be in short supply) and they say "we will sponsor you to stay". In the end she didn't stay and went back to the UK. I also worked on a Government large scale project in Adelaide and they were FIFO (fly in fly out) people from the UK to work on the project, how much did that cost and I do not believe they were not able to get people to do the roles within Australia. I taught a student who had come in under the category of 'Office Manager' but then told me that their job in their country was to process/data entry insurance claims and basically they had abused the system - they were then moaning to me that they could not get a job as an Office Manager - I did not have much sympathy!!

This issue seems to be gaining interest (not surprisingly in the current climate), I am wondering with the election coming up if we may see some changes to visas.....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/foreign-workers-manipulating-controversial-visa/story-e6frea6u-1226586304277

As I suspected, let the games begin!!!!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/immigration-battle-heats-up-as-parties-trade-attacks-on-visas-asylum-seekers/story-fn59niix-1226587662288