aliogilvie

Emotional Rollercoaster

Morning all

Well...the day of our emigration is rolling round fast. This weekend has been one of the most exhausting of my life - we moved out of our flat and back in with my parents for the last 3 weeks and have had two leaving meals - both of which I found hugely upsetting.

I am sitting here right now wondering whether we have just taken the most amazing, liberating and exciting decision ever or whether we are utterly mental. I never quite expected to feel so emotionally wrung out by all this - handing the keys on our flat back knocked me for six and if it wasn't for my husband being an absolute rock I think I would have lost my mind. :arghh:

This forum keeps me grounded with reading about peoples experiences - for better and worse and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts, responds, keeps up the banter and generally makes it feel like a nice place to run to for reassurance.

We fly out in just over 3 weeks time, flying into Melbourne for a friend's wedding then driving the GOR down to Adelaide. Neither of us has a job lined up yet but I am confident we will find something to pay the rent. This last 3 weeks at work is going to be tricky with trying to remain 'engaged' when my mind is absolutely elsewhere. I will no doubt be visiting PIA continuously....

Anyway, off to indulge in one of my Mom's sunday dinners, one of the better elements to living (temporarily) back under the parents roof! Happy Sunday all.

Ali

Guest PaulandVicky

Don't worry. This is a great opportunity, if you don't like it - leave....

(that's what the kind ozzies like to put on their vehicles,Arrrhh arn't they nice and caring for doing that!!) not!! Ha ha

no, honestly. You have to try it first hand for yourselves. The opportunity is there, so take it. If your not happy, you have uk to go back to, people do return back as it jus doesn't work for them and you can do it.

Just look forward to it!! See you when you get here!! Ha ha

We fly out a few dad after you but are going to Adelaide via Singapore. Have to say I completely agree with your feelings but we sold our house and moved in with my parents last August. All of our stuff is currently in the Indian Ocean, we sold one car at Xmas and te other is going in two weeks.

i have got all the anxiety out of my system now an just cant wait to get there with the kids and strt life we have been planning for 18 months. It does feel like hubby and I have had everything on hold since we made the decision to move...

good luck with it all, it sure will be an adventure and even if the next few weeks and months are tough think two years down the line...it will all be worth it!

anna x

Guest guest8040

Totally totally totally with you! 6 weeks to go here, after starting this journey 2 years ago. just got a tenant for the house today and am constantly stressed with every 'bridge' we cross to the point I've got an IBS stomach thing going on and had to get tablets from the doctor! Perfectly normal everyone tells me, doesn't make it easier but I know it's a storm we have to ride out. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what youve always got, you make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change (can you tell I'm into quotes at the moment lol). Thanks for posting made me feel better and less mentally unstable, see you on the other side!

Guest Jamie

Good luck to everyone making the move. We fly out 9th of May after what has felt like years of desperately wanting to migrate. Finally its happening and all feels so surreal.

House is still for sale, but not stressing, renting out as a back up plan. Were leaving and nothings gonna stop us lol. No jobs to go to but are very fortunate to be staying with the rellies in the Mount Torrens area until jobs are secured and rental arranged. Very lucky to have visited Adelaide lots of times over the years and travelled alot around Oz on honeymoon. Can not wait. One big adventure, were taking a risk, bring it on. Life is far too short for regrets.

Adelaide is a great city and we are looking forward to a better quality of life

Guest Amy Denyer

Thank you for all your inspirational words and quotes. I'm a nearly 30 year old single making the big move alone and going through a mix of emotions about whether it is the right thing to do! But like you all say, life is too short to not try! I don't want to regret not going when I have this small window of opportunity left! x

Hi,

I recently popped back to uk for a holiday and even though saying good he to my mum and dad at the airport was hard, it was nothing compared to when we emigrated 18 month as before. Wouldn't want to relive that month with my parents, saying goodbye to everyone in bits and pieces, ever again! Looking back, it's so hard and stressful, so dont worry you aren't going mad but it's worth it!

Just got to get through it once :)

good luck

Gill x

Guest guest8040

Thanks for the words of wisdom Gill. How did it feel going back to visit? Were you glad to get back to Adelaide?

Hi,

was lovely to go back as was desperate to see a few folk, but had two and a half weeks and couldn't wait to get home to Adelaide! Really felt like coming home when flew in, possibly cos I drop hubbie off at the airport so often it's like a second home :). I did actually feel so relieved that this time I was just coming home and not emigrating! Now have no plans to return back to Scotland for holidays unless its some big event.

Cheers

gill

Guest Helchops
    Morning all

Well...the day of our emigration is rolling round fast. This weekend has been one of the most exhausting of my life - we moved out of our flat and back in with my parents for the last 3 weeks and have had two leaving meals - both of which I found hugely upsetting.

I am sitting here right now wondering whether we have just taken the most amazing, liberating and exciting decision ever or whether we are utterly mental. I never quite expected to feel so emotionally wrung out by all this - handing the keys on our flat back knocked me for six and if it wasn't for my husband being an absolute rock I think I would have lost my mind. :arghh:

This forum keeps me grounded with reading about peoples experiences - for better and worse and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts, responds, keeps up the banter and generally makes it feel like a nice place to run to for reassurance.

We fly out in just over 3 weeks time, flying into Melbourne for a friend's wedding then driving the GOR down to Adelaide. Neither of us has a job lined up yet but I am confident we will find something to pay the rent. This last 3 weeks at work is going to be tricky with trying to remain 'engaged' when my mind is absolutely elsewhere. I will no doubt be visiting PIA continuously....

Anyway, off to indulge in one of my Mom's sunday dinners, one of the better elements to living (temporarily) back under the parents roof! Happy Sunday all.

Ali

Hey aliogilvie, nearly there now.

The actual leaving process is emotionally draining, and I'm sure we all remember it well. the really crazy thing, is that that is only the first step!

I believe that most people who seem to emigrate go through a turbulent 'right of passage' year when they get here too; which does sadly mean some leave wondering why they'd ever commit to such a move...

The best advice I can give you is to hit the ground running, absolutely determined to make a success of this move. Most people (myself included) are literally pressing the 'reset' button on their finances - we've had to start again with housing, jobs, career (back to the bottom in some cases), crap cars etc...

It's a very challenging first year. Oz does seem to reward those that work hard (head down, bums up?) and contribute to the country.

We're eight months in, so I'll probably do an update soon...it's been the most challenging eight months of our lives, it's real hard work (many more hours work than when we were in the UK) but SA in particular has some great opportunities and some wonderful places to visit and lovely residents. We couldn't have got this far without some of the lovely people we've met and have supported us along the way. I already call South Australia home, and that feeling will grow the more we immerse ourselves in the lifestyle.

Guest guest8040

These posts are really keeping me going, this build up to leaving is ghastly. Praying it will all be worth it!