Anne B

Nursing - are there many full time jobs out there?

I notice that there are a lot of nurses over here and planning to come over.

What type of hours (full-time/part-time) are you managing to get?

I ask this as a very experienced nurse friend of mine has recently had to change positions at the hospital she works, but they will only give her part-time work (20 hours a week). There is no way they will give her full-time work, despite her vast experience and previously working full-time.

Is this normal? Is this the way things are going in public hospitals, or are people managing to get full-time work easily? This may be something to be aware of for nurses about to make the move.

Edited by Anne B

The budget for nurses is very poor at present. You are correct in saying they are only giving pt contracts . There are extra hours that can be given out . Agency work may be the way to go . Hope this helps .

Guest Bluebell

I've got a full time hours contract in a private hospital no problem, might be because of having a speciality though.

Guest Chelsea86

Please ask her to get in touch with Healthcare Australia for nursing positions/shift work on +61 8 8338 9001.

Hi,

The unit I am attached to at the RAH just had 5 full time vacancies! Most of the chosen ones :) have decided to do 0.8fte but that was their choice.

Probably depends what speciality and what vacancies there are but certainly not a ban on full time here.

Gill x

Thanks for your replies folks, some interesting replies, especially the last. She has had some problems at home and been on stress leave in the past, so maybe that's the reason......