Guest simpsona

ADHD medication in SA?

Guest simpsona

My son currently takes 3 different medications for ADHD/sleeping and wondered if the same medication will be available to him in SA and how the process works? Even the slightest change makes a huge impact on how he functions and we have finally just got him settled on his current medications.

He takes Methylphenadate, Aripiprizole & Melatonin if that helps with anyone prescribed similar.

Many thanks, Sharon.

The system for prescriptions is quite different here.

Drugs can be on the Pharmaceutical Benefits list (PBS) or not. If not, you have to pay the full cost of the drug, usually called a private prescription.

If they are on the PBS list, you pay $36.10 (at the moment) per item or less (whatever is the cheapest). Not all drugs that you get in the UK are on the list and sometimes they are, but not for the same uses. Here is the PBS link and somewhere is a list of drugs on it: http://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/about-the-pbs. The first two listed I can find, but not Melatonin.

Guest simpsona

Thanks peeps! x I will have a look at link and sounds like we'll be ok, tbh Melatonin least important of the 3 as just helps him get off to sleep so sure we will find an alternative. Melatonin is naturally produced in the body so would think it would also be available too.

thanks again, Sharon. x