Guest C & A

References for Renting

Guest C & A

We have read that you need references for renting. Can anyone tell us what sort of references we need to bring as we have never rented in the UK. Financial references does that mean mortgage statements?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Angela

Hi

Dont know if this helps but we have got letter from bank showing prev mortgages we have had, that they have been repaid in full and that we never missed a payment.

we have also got a reference from neighbours saying how we kept house neat and tidy etc. I have even been on line and got a full copy of our credit history from experian, it's only a couple of pounds and arrives in days.

anna

Guest wijaya

Hi

anything that shows you have money in the bank is good. When we came here in 2010, we also gave the landlord our life story, basically telling them who we were..

I am not sure whether that helped a lot. Probably when you go house hunting, you will need additional documents when there are lot of interest in the house. If not, you don't need to worry too much.

regards

wijaya

we've rented just recently and you need 100 points which is basically copies of your passport, driving licence, we gave them copies of our mortgage statement and marks job offer and our visa acceptance, that was enough for us, good luck

Yep get the financial info. As for other references for your first time rental here... I would ask your employer, for one, to write you a reference. Giving you a character reference, saying that they would rent a house to you without any reservation etc. Also if you have any friends in the property rental business -get them also to write you a friends' character reference, also saying that they would rent a house to you, and that when they have visited your home they have seen things in good order, well kept, etc. I'd get any other character references you can - if you go to church then your pastor/ vicar, other professionals who you are connected with and feel can write a letter you can take with you. If you have any friends in exciting and influential jobs or positions of respect within the community - get a character reference from them.

I think that there is usually space for 2 references from friends on rental applications, and the others are supposed to be previous landlords etc. So have 2 or 3 friend ones, and some other more arms length references. Then depending on the requirements, you can copy references to attach with your application and ask your referees if they are happy to receive email requests for any further information from the agents as needed.

Guest C & A

Thanks to everyone for replying.

We have found this information very helpful and hopefully it will help others.

Angela

If you stay in a furnished place on your arrival sometimes they will also give you a reference based on their experience of you during your stay. Doesn't hurt to ask if they will do this.

If you stay in a furnished place on your arrival sometimes they will also give you a reference based on their experience of you during your stay. Doesn't hurt to ask if they will do this.

We recently did this and our landlord was happy to be a referee even though we had only been in the apartment for 3 weeks. Also, if you are renting out your property in the UK you can give details of your agent there who they can also contact for a reference. We had a bit of advice from a couple of estate agents too at some viewings - the money thing is a big one apparently so statements showing a healthy bank balance (or at least enough to cover the rental cost) will go down well. Offering to pay 3 months rent in advance (if you can afford to) may just swing it for you too.

good points although offering over the odds, or offering lots of rent up front I think comes across a bit try hard and desperate. I don't know anyone who has succeeded getting a rental that way, but we have succeeded getting 4 to date now just fulfilling the criteria for rent and bond as they were stated in the advert.

If you stay in a short term rental for the first few weeks, then you can ask the owners to supply with with a written reference. Or ask the owners if you can put their name and number down as landlord in Australia - I do think this goes along way. We do it for any guests that are staying with us and we get the Real Estate agents asking if they are good payers - which, I is usally good as for short term payment it required in full before arriving.

Hope this helps

Sarahx