Guest Darjoe

Hello everyone

Guest Darjoe

Hi everyone,

been over in PIO for a litte while but really interested in moving to Adelaide so thought it was time to join up!

we are at the very beginning of our adventure, hoping for a 189 visa based on OH accountancy profession. I am a qualified (for 15yrs )midwife but would need to be a stay at home mum until we get settled. My kids are 9,7 and 18 months. We are very open to any advice anyone can give us. We are about to arrange my OH IELTS and then apply for his skills assessment.

great to read such positive posts about Adelaide. what are the best areas to live with children of primary school age? Is there much rental accomodation about? Anyone any experience with applying for CPV for mother in law?

looking forward to hearing from anyone :rolleyes:

J x

Hi Darjoe

Welcome to PIA...lots and lots of information on here regarding where to stay in Adelaide. It is a big place, so just begin thinking whether you would like to be in the hill, near the coast or the city...thats probably a good place to start.

We came here almost 6 year ago, our children were 7 & 10 - we always wanted to live near the sea (as lived nowhere near it in the uk lol)..so thats where we started to research. We have ended in in the southern Suburb of Adelaide, Moana. We love this area and it is very family friend, other southern suburbs include Seaford, Seaford Rise, Seaford Meadows, Maslin Beach, Adlinga beach, Port Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga South .

When I started looking for areas, I would use realestate.com.au and look up houses in that area - that was my starting put and seeing what house we could get from our budget. Its all horses for courses ! so there is no right or wrong area!

Hope this helps a bit

Sarahxx

Welcome to PIA! It's a little quieter than PIO - but then, so's Adelaide!

Your kids are a great age to make the move - mine were 9 and 7 when we did it nearly nine years ago now. Daughter has recently left school and is currently back in the UK on a gap year.

As far as areas are concerned, start off by working out where you - or in your case initially, your OH - will be working. The decide if you/he willbe commuting by public transport or not. Adelaide itself is pretty spread out, but if you know where you will be work-based, it is perfectly feasible to find a lovely family suburb within about 30 minutes commute. We looked at locations with teh viewpoint, why move halfway round the world and then spend ages stuck on a car/bus/train getting to and from work, when you could easily be home within a half hour with a cold glass of wine in hand instead! Also as we don't have long light evenings as much here as in the northern hemisphere - if you/your OH can be home by, say 6 from a 5:30 finish, you can head out as a family to watch the sunset on the beach with fish and chips of an evening, and don't have to save that sort of thing for weekends!

As an Accountant, I guess your OH will probably be looking for a city-based job, so concentrate your suburb search onplaces with good public transport links, within easy reach of the centre. You can use the RAA Journey planner to get an idea of travel times http://www.raa.com.au/maps/ and http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au to get an idea of public transport.

Good luck and if you find anywhere that catches your fancy, just ask - there's bound to be someone who lives in or near the suburb you are looking at!

Guest simpsona

Hi, I am new on here too but have already spend ours scouring the pages and found out loads of useful info! We are planning to bring MIL out too but can't afford the CPV so are planning to apply for the Onshore APV 804 as she will be 65 this year and this will include a bridging Visa to cover the wait time which is around 8-10 years apparently. Couldn't leave her home all that time as she only has us. x Good luck with all your plans!

Sharon.

Guest Darjoe

thanks guys.

I read some of your other posts sharon about MIL and visa's- it kinda confusing isnt it! i will look into what you have said thankyou

thanks Diane i think we need to do it now while the kids are young enough to adapt and beofe my daughter starts secondary education.Also my hubby turns 40 next year so want to get application in before then.

sarah-thanks for the advice on suburbs, those were the ones i was looking at actually- must have a sixth sense!

Great to hear from some lovely friendly, helpful people :-)

Guest simpsona

My Hubby 40 this week! Think we must all get itchy feet about now lol! My kids 14,12 & 7 so need to jump now while they are all on board before boyfriends and girlfriends change their minds lol! x