Arrived 8th Jan 2013 - the verdict so far......

Guest Cornish Pasties

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi Andy,

Sorry for late reply - think I turned notifications off! I'm originally from Manchester - grow up in Wythenshawe then moved to Stockport. Whereabouts you guys from? We went for a 175 permanent visa cause we had time on our hands (had to wait for hubby to finish time in navy) but not quite sure about process for sponsored visa's. I'd certainly get the advice of a migration agent.

Best of luck to you and your gf.

Guest Cornish Pasties
Sounds great, how do you have time to turn the LG TV on? That is the sort of life we are looking forward to with our two boys, its snowing again here, so no camping or kayaking for us this weekend! Do you think the work situation will change your view or are you confident in finding work?

Simon

Hi Simon,

Sorry for late reply! Just to give you an update re work situation. Both myself and hubby came without jobs - took couple of months off when we got here. Started looking in March and had both secured full time employment within weeks. Perhaps we have been lucky however we were given a good bit of advice - don't just send your C.V off and hope for the best - could be a long wait before you get a reply, if you do happen to get one! Knock on doors and hand your C.V over to someone. Also meet as many people as you can when you arrive and tell them what you do - likely they might know someone in the field or can give you a name etc.

Not sure if you guys have made the move yet but wish you all the best when you do. Obviously work is a bit of an inconvenience now but it maintains a very good lifestyle and the weekends are very special!

Guest Cornish Pasties
We have 6 weeks until we fly. It is all becoming very real now and we have two weeks until our stuff gets collected for shipping, we need to sort out insurance for shipping??

we hope that we have made the right decision. Our son 2 half years old loves the out doors so we hope to give him the best start in life,we believe that every thing happens for a reason and life is what you make it. We realise that things will not be handed to us and we need to put all our effort into making it work.

The positive post is the inspiration that I need right now as it is starting to get very scary but exciting too

Sorry for late response but possibly you guys have already landed now? Hope you are settling in well and wish you all the best in your new life!

Guest Cornish Pasties
This has been great to read we will be there in 4 weeks!! Although I wouldn't say I am nervous as yet, just looking forward to the new life we will have! There are some concerns of not having people we know around us so hoping we will adjust and make friends quickly!

It is a massive thing to be doing and this really has helped ease any slight doubts I may have had!

Hi guys,

Presume you have now landed and settling in? Hope all is going well so far. I'm sure you will make lots of friends - just a matter of accepting all the invites you get if you can :-) I am in South and there are a great gang of peeps that have made me feel very welcome so if you do fancy a group meet up just give me a shout.

Guest Cornish Pasties
Thanks for the post Zoe,

Really needed to read this as been telling people at work today as moving in less then 3 weeks and been getting:

Why are you going to Adelaide? Out door life style (All good at this point, happy for you etc :smile:)

So, who do you know in Adelaide? No one? (Strange look and then "ooohhhh" :skeptical:)

Have you got Family in Adelaide? No, No Family (Riiiggghhhhhttt??? :err:)

So what job have you got??? No Job, applied for shed loads with no luck so far (OOOOKKKKKKKK!!!! :embarressed:)

So your wife has a job right??? No, she has no job??? (Blank look!!! :huh:)

O.K Good Luck (And by this point I thinking and are we really doing all this!!! :unsure:)

Same questions about 20 times to day and lots more people to go.

Reading all these positive post I can't wait. Thank you for POMS in Adelaide to pick you up when you down.

Good luck with the job hunting and give up all the good contacts on here if you find any please.

Mark

Hi Mark,

This really tickled me - was like deja vu! Presume you have arrived in Adelaide and getting settled in? How are you finding it and how is the job hunting going?

Guest Cornish Pasties
Hello Zoe, which part of cornwall do you come from? We are from Truro aged 55 and arrived in October and have been travelling up and down the East coast and have now decided to come back to Adelaide. Our 2 sons will be joining us within the year aged 25 and 20. We feel Aus has so much to offer and are looking forward to the next chapter in our lives.

Ann O' Hare

Hi Ann,

Sorry for late reply - don't get on here as often as I should. We were living in Helston so just a stones throw from Truro. Hubby was at Culdrose. We are both originally from up North - hubby Wirral and me Manchester. Where have you guys settled in Adelaide?

Guest Cornish Pasties
Well done I think I might know you already am so pleased to hear a happy story.... we all love it hear too

well done to you all ....Fab story watch out for the crocodiles and snakes kayaking though stay safe :tongue:

I think I might know you too......are you blue blooded?

Guest sithewindows

Sounds great and glad you found work ok. We have our visa now so will be on our way in early August. So much to do this end first with work, house and animals but I feel it will be worth it. Looks like you are in the area we will be looking at. Job is based in North but it will involve working in different areas so we are looking Hallett to McLaren.

Hi Simon,

Sorry for late reply! Just to give you an update re work situation. Both myself and hubby came without jobs - took couple of months off when we got here. Started looking in March and had both secured full time employment within weeks. Perhaps we have been lucky however we were given a good bit of advice - don't just send your C.V off and hope for the best - could be a long wait before you get a reply, if you do happen to get one! Knock on doors and hand your C.V over to someone. Also meet as many people as you can when you arrive and tell them what you do - likely they might know someone in the field or can give you a name etc.

Not sure if you guys have made the move yet but wish you all the best when you do. Obviously work is a bit of an inconvenience now but it maintains a very good lifestyle and the weekends are very special!

Guest Cornish Pasties
Sounds great and glad you found work ok. We have our visa now so will be on our way in early August. So much to do this end first with work, house and animals but I feel it will be worth it. Looks like you are in the area we will be looking at. Job is based in North but it will involve working in different areas so we are looking Hallett to McLaren.

Very hectic but so so worth it! I'm sure the last few months in UK will fly by. Fab that you have a job lined up already - one less thing to worry about. For us the Southern region ticks all the boxes - lots of lovely areas. Good luck with the move!

Guest anoh
Hi Ann,

Sorry for late reply - don't get on here as often as I should. We were living in Helston so just a stones throw from Truro. Hubby was at Culdrose. We are both originally from up North - hubby Wirral and me Manchester. Where have you guys settled in Adelaide?

Hi, We were going to settle to the south. Moved our money when the pound was really low and now have to have a much bigger mortgage than we planned. Hubby could find no relief teaching so we have had to move to North Queensland. Maybe in the not too distant future we will try again!

We have been here 7 weeks now so our journey is only just beginning . We love the scenery here, the beaches and everyone has been really friendly . Life is what you make it wherever you live. Our boys are very happy and have settled amazingly well so we can't ask for more than that . They love the outdoors and the freedom it brings.

This move has been one of the hardest but definitely best things we have ever done .

Good luck to anyone making the move

Adelaide is a fantastic place to live and bring up children .

​Dawn