Sunday Roast hunt??

Guest Natski33

Guest Natski33

Hi,

I have been in Adelaide since June 2012 and haven't found a decent Sunday roast anywhere!

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Craving a nice chicken roast dinner badly!! : (

Guest Guest5035
Hi,

I have been in Adelaide since June 2012 and haven't found a decent Sunday roast anywhere!

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Craving a nice chicken roast dinner badly!! : (

8 months....need to get out more..

Thanks guys. Tried and tested but not like a proper British roast!!

theres a flight leaving tonight around 11pm

You probably won't get one exactly like a British roast, .

exactly..

stevo

I think the only way to get a decent British roast anywhere, is to roast your own. CAtered food can never be as good. Particularly chicken the easier of them I'd say! Save your money, make your own and then go out for fantastic food not confining yourself to English cuisine! You can even buy lard if you want to roast your potatoes the way my mum does hers. I found great ways to roast my own potatoes many moons ago that do not involve lard... and also involve other vegetables easily available here!!!!

The only adjustment I've made to my home-cooked roast is the addition of roast pumpkin - yum!

yes I was doing that there too. My fave is potatoes, sweet potato and butternut squash ( I still call it that!!! :D) in the same tray with olive oil, sea salt and rosemary. yum.

Agree Hutchy, I think it is. If I go out I always choose something i either can't or have never cooked at home.

Guest Katangel

I find roast dinners and most carveries offered in the UK pubs etc are awful! I.d much prefer to cook my own and for the record aunt bessie frozen range of veg and yorkshire pudding are also yuck lol x x

hope the original poster isn't feeling too got at. My MIL loves my roast dinners and always compliments me on them (when I do them which isn't often). Hope you can find something that suits you. I do understand the desire to go out for a decent british roast instead of cooking it yourself but really I think that is British pub territory, and I hadn't thought about that when I originally replied. Have totally forgotten amazing pub grub and we had loads of that in Norfolk. Here one just thinks of hotel carvery - and I have yet to visit a good one. Only go when invited to do so by family and i find it an expensive blah.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

I can't help with where to find a good roast, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with craving something from back home and coming on here to see if anyone has any suggestions to help.

Ignore (or block) anyone that says otherwise.

Good luck with the chicken :-)

We're obviously all developing an Aussie style of humour! - a bit caustic!

There are so many good Bistos and Hotels serving fantastic Aussie grub so if you want a good 'British Roast' don't go there - cook your own

Don't need lard for potatoes (although IMO duck fat is best) The secret is to par-boil them first for 10 minutes, drain and shake in the pan to roughen them up then spray with canola oil and roast in a hot (220 to start) oven.

Guest Natski33

Hi Sally,

Not at all. Taking all the great feedback and will be trying out some of the recommendations..

All I asked for was a good sunday roast and thought this would be the place to ask the poms among us and obviously that was wrong in some peoples eyes. Some people just have to much time on their hands!!

I am a very fussy eater and this is one thing I do really like. Appreciate the comments, cook your own - just nice sometimes to go out and get it cooked for you. We all know it wouldn't be like a British roast but still worth a try!!

Thanks for the tips.

hope the original poster isn't feeling too got at. My MIL loves my roast dinners and always compliments me on them (when I do them which isn't often). Hope you can find something that suits you. I do understand the desire to go out for a decent british roast instead of cooking it yourself but really I think that is British pub territory, and I hadn't thought about that when I originally replied. Have totally forgotten amazing pub grub and we had loads of that in Norfolk. Here one just thinks of hotel carvery - and I have yet to visit a good one. Only go when invited to do so by family and i find it an expensive blah.
Edited by noworriesmate

There are so many good Bistos and Hotels serving fantastic Aussie grub .

Ooh Bisto - a Freudean slip?

Had some passable roasts at the Victoria Hotel in Strathalbyn - slight Aussie twist (roast pumpkin) but not bad at all. Cafe Meso (as previously mentioned) serves roast chicken, pork pies and cod and chips but I haven't tried them yet

http://www.simplyo.com.au/images/cafe_meso_lunch_jan13.pdf