SwanseaJack

Primary teaching availability

Hi to all

Hopefully I am almost at the end of the visa process, and worries start to creep in and the questions of am I doing the right thing.

I know that in SA like here teachers need to do supply first in order to get themselves know before gaining a contract. I am more than willing to do this. My question however is what are the chances of gaining these contracts. Is it like here that for every job Vacancy there is an average of 250 teachers applying. I keep telling myself that I am being sponsored so surely there must be jobs there.

Can any one give me an honest and realistic answer ?

Many thanks

Kathy:wacko:

Guest Helchops

The 'being sponsored' part is in part a fallacy because jobs are not easy to come by...but, as I've said here before, if you have the right attitude and are willing to be proactive, you should be fine. It took my partner 6 months to get a contract but she made plenty of contacts in the interim and did some TRT. I would budget 3 months with no income & then 5-10 days of TRT (per month) for another three months. Bear in mind holidays & weekends hamper working days).

I should say that in the six month period of not having a fixed contract, OH worked tirelessly to get work....but we didn't come with much so we needed to do that. Nothing like lighting a fire under your bum than the thought of having to head back to the UK if you can't get work!! If you're more financially flexible then you're in an even better position.

Finally, when you arrive if you want any help, drop me a PM!

As mentioned above just because your job is on a skills list it does not mean there is necessarily a demand for this job. The way I have always looked at it is that by doing that job it gives you an opportunity to migrate to Australia, something that many people would love to do but simply can't. As Helchops says your attitude to a new life here is so important. Also consider are you willing to do other work to get started if you can't get teaching work, be flexible with your approach.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hi Kathy,

Try not to stress too much - completely agree with the 'just because its on the skills shortage list doesn't actually mean there is a big shortage in Adelaide itself - remember its a State wide list, not just the metro area....- however, I've been round a few schools, making contacts etc (still waiting to do my courses and get myself registered), and the schools I have talked to (private schools and special ed schools) have seemed like they are pretty eager and a bit desperate for more TRT teachers, obviously this is just what they say at the moment, but I haven't had such positive feedback previously from schools/agencies in the UK (the agencies over here are a bit more reticent, I have been told by one that in Term 1 (just finished) its likely there would be the odd day here and there, but from Term 2 there should be around 3 days a week at least).

At the end of the day, if you want to come here for lots of reasons, and you want to make it work, you will......just be realistic about the fact you probably won't walk into a job on day one (you never know though lol), and you'll be fine. IMHO TRT is a good thing though, you get to see the kind of school you do actually want to work in before tying yourself to somewhere you don't actually want to be long term, you get experience of how things work over here so can give yourself a bit of breathing space etc, and its always nice to be able to take days off as and when you want to get the settling in things done imho as well!

Good luck - I'll keep the board updated with my progress on things as and when they happen (we're off to Perth next week, so will be a couple of weeks before I start looking in earnest etc)

Hi Adelaide bound

Completely agree with what you said much prefer to do supply or a while just to experience how things work in education, so have no problem with that. Just wanted to know the possibility of gaining ill time employment. Working full time at the moment in the UK but know how difficult it is here to get a job. W worried if it was the same over there.

Thanks

Good luck kathy

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi,

I arrive with my family on 10th July and am looking at doing some TRT work to begin with - just had my second child so happy to work a few days here and there with a view to something more long term later on. I am already registered as I did my courses in Adelaide when I visited to activate our visas last summer but makes no difference they want you there and ready to work. I am actually hoping my husband secures work first once we arrive as then I can be a stay at home mum for a bit longer!! Currently I am an assistant head teacher in the middle east but want to return to the classroom when we move to enjoy a good work life balance with my family. Good luck keep us posted on your progress. X