Guest kate11

Is it really worth using a migration agent?

Guest kate11

HI everyone!

Just wondering if it is worth the money using a migration agent? what are the benefits/downsides? Have any nurses here used one and if so do they provide any help on that front?

We go to downunder live and of course they are going to say its worth it, I would be grateful for your personal opinions/experiences.

Thank you so much! I cant wait for me and hubby to be out there :)

Guest rooney74

Hi Kate,

Im a nurse and have done it myself, wont say its been easy but ive got there in the end. awaiting a decision on my visa :)

Guest Mojoanna

Hi Kate I am also a nurse and just starting the process with out an agent :) wish me luck

Guest superm

I would say do it yourself.. its fun and quite streamlined process. If you know that there's no out of the ordinary complexity is involved then do it yourself.

From what I have seen Agents are not that attentive and not into it with that much enthusiasm and hence known to delay things up!

Guest Guest11535

We used an agent( Go Matilda), firstly because ours wasn't straight forward and secondly we needed the advice and help from an agent. Each to their own and there are pro's and con's DIY or agent. Either way we all want the same outcome...A VISA. Good luck to all those who are waiting for the ticket.

I can't comment from a nursing angle, but in terms of applying for a visa, we did it ourselves (but several years ago). Our starting point was a few online self assessments and several read throughs of the info on the immi website (all the information and documentation you need to apply is there).

Once we had a basic grasp of the visa options and their conditions we chatted to a few agents and got very different and contradictory information, particularly about my skills assessment route. Agents - like builders, doctors, mechanics, any profession - differ in their competency and approach, and you may well strike the right one immediately, but the lack of consistency we experienced meant we were inclined to do the process ourselves. Ours was a straightforward application, but if we'd have had complications - disputes over taking kids, difficulty in proving a relationship, lack of qualifications etc - then we might well have continued down the agent path.

Doing it ourselves meant we felt more in control and had a better grasp of the types and conditions of visas (I still sometimes sit open mouthed in wonder when I read some of the lack of understanding from some posters who have made the move about their own visas and what they are/aren't able to do - I think 'you've jacked in jobs, sold your house and changed your kid's schooling to move to the other side of the world and now you're asking basic questions to strangers on a website about what happens if your visa expires/how to go from temp to permanent/what if your employer dismisses you?')

Anyway, I digress! I'd say that unless you have complicated circumstances, there's absolutely no reason not to do it yourself and keep your money. If, though, you find comfort in having your case 'managed' on your behalf or your circumstances are particularly curly, then give an agent a call.

Jim

Our agent saved us a lot of time in research, and lessened the stress. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't especially costly either. It worked for us, but we had to get on with the process quite quickly so we could get a slot in the state sponsorship.

We used an agent and in our opinion it was a huge waste of money. i did all the chasing and running about, it was me who was advising him of changes to the process and regulations in 2009 and 2010. Plus when it came to submitting our state sponsor application the agent disappeared for 4 weeks without any notice (i appreciate things happen or emergencies can crop up, but an email reply or advice would help). then to top it all they wanted full payment, including the state sponsor application. needless to say, they didnt get that portion.

In short, if you have some common sense, you can read and write english then go for it yourself. all the documents you will be creating and researching anyway, so save your money for better things (like flights) and go for it yourself. wish we had.

I was/am and engineer and on a 176 before the recent skills assessment changes (phew)

Oh. forgot to add. I had issues at DIAC when our application got there. if it wasnt for my direct communication with DIAc, bypassing our agent i doubt we would have ever got there. it was that bad, we had received our notification of approval, received our visa and had even booked flights, travelled to London for the magic stamp/visa in our passports (not required, but wanted something to show for all the hard work and money) got the visa for China (we travelled throuigh there) before our agent decided to tell us it had been approved. all in all, i think it was about 3 weeks later.

I think it is, it's not a vast amount of money in the big scheme of things, visa go (our company) only charged us about 1500k to 2k can't remember exactly but it's nice to have advice on tap and peace of mind that everything is being put forward as it should and having no applications returned/refused. I know people who've completed the visa process themselves and had it refused at submission stage because they haven't met the criteria exactly or forms weren't filled in correctly. Agents can give you advice too as when best time to submit deadline dates. I was also expecting our 2nd baby in the middle of our application so they just advise you exactly what to do change of circumstances etc, so for us it was money well spent and definitely made our lives so much more stress free and happy!!!

Just goes to show - like with all other aspects of moving to Oz, one persons good experience is another's nightmare.

Start the process yourself as we did. Unfortunately we became extremely busy with work meaning we needed somebody else to drive it forward so we appointed Thames Migration when VETASSESS requested further information. Highly recommended, not expensive and always there to help.

S