Sign in to follow this  
Guest Roz G

Another Newbie - sorry long thread

Guest Roz G

Hi All

My name is Roz and I am another newbie. I have been logging on to the site since about Christmas time when we first looked into moving to Adelaide but I've only just plucked up the courage to Register and join in myself. I feel like I know some of you already and I think your threads are really great, very helpful and very informative and I think this is a fantastic Forum - well done all.

My OH and I are looking at moving to Oz for a better quality of life for both us and our kids 1 almost 18 who doesn't want to come with us - yet(1st dilemma) and the other 15 who is really keen to move to Oz and would love to do an apprenticeship in either Plumbing or Joinery if they do them over there. I've also got elderly parents who I'm very close to (2nd dilemma). Unfortunately neither of us have the skills needed to give us enough points for the Visa (my OH manages an Insurance Brokers and I am a PA/Secretary at our local hospital). I've since been trying to find out if there is any other way of us getting a Visa. There is a possibility he could perhaps approach one of the big Insurance Companies in Oz for a job. I've gone onto a couple of Agents websites but they've told us we don't have the skills. There's so much to think about. Sorry to go on.

Guest alibongo

hi Roz,

Welcome to the forum.. You're right it really is very informative. Hope you will find a way to get to Oz..Have you thought of re training. some of the people on here are going over to train as mature students in the TAFE..worth a thought??

Good luck

Ali

Guest Roz G

Hi Ali

Thanks for your reply. I did think about training to be a hairdresser as I know someone who emigrated on that basis, but I'll have a look at TAFF too, thanks for the suggestion.

Roz

Guest Django

Hi Roz,

Nice of you to join us. If you want it that much there is always a way. Mature student is the best way if you can't get enough points. How many points short are you?? Also, later on when you are over there you may well be able to apply for permanant residency or indeed citizenship and you could then sponsor your parents to come over and join you.

As for no.1 child, put them on the visa anyway and take them with you when you go. Even if its just for a holiday for them. Once there they might not want to return but will have to if they haven't got that stamp in their passport.

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Hello

Ten out of Ten for your determination to get here.

This site didn't exist when we started our retraining - we trained to be teachers. We went to college part time for 2 years to get an Access course, Uni for 3 years for the degree and another year for the teacher training cert, then had to get the experience to fulfil the visa requirements. During that time, my dad was diagnosed with a terminal condition. The visa process was my way of coping with losing him.

All in all, it took us 11 years to get here, worth it but hard work at the time. And I had never been until after the application was in (then my five mins of fame).

Keep going, talk to Ian Harrop or Sue Tempany at www.ianharrop.co.uk - they will tell you what you need to do to get here. No charge and they are absolutely s*dding brilliant!

Libby

Guest mOZzy

hello and welcome to pia :wubclub:

can't add anything really to the ideas offered already!!

just 'good luck' ;)

Guest Roz G

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply and the useful info, much appreciated. I think we were about 15 points short on our test. They only allowed I think 5 points for my occupation and we are also both 41. Our eldest did say he would come for a holiday - so as you say he may not want to leave that is of course as & when we get there - whenever it may be.

Roa

Guest Roz G

Hi Libby

Thanks for your reply, what a determined lady you are, I take my hat off to you 11 years - wow. Thanks also for the names you've suggested, I'll certainly give them a try - nothing ventured, nothing gained as my Mum says. My OH did contact someone who said they could get us there without enough points, but I wasn't sure as I couldn't find any details of them on the Companies House Website so was a bit concerned.

Roz

Guest mOZzy

have you included the possibility of doing the ielts exam??

i think you can get 10 points for a positive result!

Guest Roz G

Hi

Thanks for that, I'd not thought about IELTs - I'll certainly look into it. Much appreciated.

Roz