Guest janj

autistic teacher

Guest janj

Hi im in the middle of registering to teach in SA but because of my age i need to find a sponser from a school to get a 457 visa to teach in Adelaide. I teach art to autistic teenagers and had amazing results in GCSE A*,A, B and c.(this May predicted all A and B for my six entrants) i adore my school but my son and granddaughter have emigrated and i want to be there for my granddaughter as we are missing out on all the Fun we had. I am coming over to go around the schools to give out my CV in the Glenelg,Hove area.(30 k radius) If anybody knows of the best schools or any advise i would be grateful thanks.

I think you'll find the system doesn't work like that. All applications need to go through DECD (Education dept) and people are allocated through them. I expect you'd need to meet a certain criteria to be eligible, but you'd have to go through them rather than indiviual schools

I think you'll find the system doesn't work like that. All applications need to go through DECD (Education dept) and people are allocated through them. I expect you'd need to meet a certain criteria to be eligible, but you'd have to go through them rather than indiviual schools

That's true for state schools but the privately run ones do their own thing.

I've no idea where you'd find an Autistic Teacher, most of them are quite normal :biglaugh: Happy Easter darlin.

Guest Adelaide_bound
    Hi im in the middle of registering to teach in SA but because of my age i need to find a sponser from a school to get a 457 visa to teach in Adelaide. I teach art to autistic teenagers and had amazing results in GCSE A*,A, B and c.(this May predicted all A and B for my six entrants) i adore my school but my son and granddaughter have emigrated and i want to be there for my granddaughter as we are missing out on all the Fun we had. I am coming over to go around the schools to give out my CV in the Glenelg,Hove area.(30 k radius) If anybody knows of the best schools or any advise i would be grateful thanks.

It does work a bit differently here than in the UK - I'm not going to say better or worse, just differently with regards to both recruitment and licenses and the such like as well as just how 'advanced' (for want of putting it another way) the SEN schooling system/mainstream schooling system works here.

There are about 6 SEN specific schools in the Adelaide region from what I have gathered speaking to people etc - they all seem to do things their own way as well so not really a single way of going about things. If you are chasing sponsorship, tbh I think you will have far more luck thinking of going mainstream as well and targeting indy schools around the place especially out country a bit more, simply because of the number of schools etc.

If you do a google search for SEN schools in Adelaide you should be able to get the contact details for them all pretty easily and contact them from there - imho it might be better waiting until you are here in May though to do it in person. I was speaking to the main recruitment person at St. Josephs the other day (severe multi spectrum disorders, mainly intellectual disabilities some autism apparently), and he was telling me because they are such a small school they ask peole to go in and volunteer for a while first, to see if you can work well with their established teams etc before accepting you as TRT, and then a job might follow if and when one might become available (ie I'm not sure they would be a good bet for sponsorship, but you never know).

There is a good website that lists all the indy schools in each state too (sorry can't remember it but again Google is your friend :) ) so you can fire off a speculative email to them all on the list with regards to meeting up in May when you are here.

If you are set on staying 30KM from the Glenelg area I'm sorry to be very pessimistic but I'm not sure you will have much luck......there are lots and lots of teachers here, and they all want to be metro area, so they can easily employ a teacher on a casual contract, and not have the hassle of sponsoring someone - SEN here isn't really about paper grades but more about just teaching them actual life skills so your high pass rate won't really count for a lot from the feedback I have had talking to a couple of the special schools (however this is just what has been said to me, so no idea what they might say to someone else etc...). (I'm a bit of everything throughout my career teacher, but very interested in getting back to SEN teaching)

Good luck with it all - I would just list every single school and trawl around them all to see when you get here.....also, sure you already know all about this, but its a hurdle a few people haven't counted on,, so worth mentioning (even if for someone else reading this), if you haven't got 4 years BEd. type degree, or at least 3 years undergrad plus a PGCE (GTP does NOT count) you won't be able to teach in any school, unless you do top up qualifications here in Oz before you are allowed to register (like I say, this is more for others reading this thread - I'm sure if you're at the TRB overseas qualification check stage already you'll know all about that :D )

Guest janj
    I've no idea where you'd find an Autistic Teacher, most of them are quite normal :biglaugh: Happy Easter darlin.

I think most teachers are a bit autistic in lots of different ways. ha ha Happy freezing Easter from a very cold Uk

Guest janj

Thank you for the advice i will come for a month in August and trawl the schools and offer as you suggested to do some voluntary work. That is how i got the best jobs in the uk. Im similar taught in many different place from a male, prison to mainstream to sen, and find sen the most rewarding so i can turn my hand to most areas including life skills in a arty way. (haha)

I have a BA hons and PGCE just getting the transcripts together then a visit to the solicitor to get everything certified. My worry is leaving a full time well paid perm post to come to a supply post(if im lucky) But my love for my grand daughter will keep me focused as the only option is to stay put and come over three times a year and that does not work for me scary but a new life awaits just a few hurdles. Janj

The other thing to remember is that of course on a Visitor visa you are not allowed to work- even on a Voluntary basis. So that option would be more for when you've worked out which visa you'll be entitled to & can actually be over there...bit of chicken & egg situation I think! The Contributory Parent Visa might be a useful alternative?

Edited by freesia