2 year old cat needs good home

serena

Hi all, little Penny Lane needs a good home.

We were given her 2 1/2 years ago when she was 3 weeks old.

She was dumped in a box and left for dead at birth. She amazingly lasted 2 weeks

When she was found in an old grain barn alongside her dead sister. She's a beautifull tabby

But a very nervous soul. She's fully house trained and only uses a litter box when it's raining

out!

She doesn't go out much and doesn't catch birds or anything. To scared.

I think she'd like a friend, she seems lonely, but not a dog.

Please ask around, I don't know what to do with her! Sucks to give her up.

I'll tell you what to do.

Contact ALL the rescue shelters that have a no kill policy. Find one of them that will take the cat and who will ensure the cat goes to a fully vetted home with the fallback of the rescue who will take the cat back should the new owners not be able to keep the cat for whatever reason.

Start with this one

http://www.sadogrescue.com/Cats-for-Adoption.html

If they are unable to take the cat (or can't take it for a few weeks or some such) then ask them if they know of any other rescues or get online and get googling for others. There are plenty. Or go on their wait list till they can take your cat.

This really is the kindest thing you can do if you can no longer keep your cat.

You don't say if your cat is de sexed, vaccinated or chipped? And also your reason for rehoming. Would be good to let others know.

Edited by snifter

Thanks, but I can't put her in a shelter - I don't think she'd survive it. Yes she's been neutered and vaccinated. She doesn't have any fleas as she rarely goes out and we have no other pets. Plus I vacuum her occasionally! I would never have got a cat as we knew we wouldn't be staying here forever ( that's why we're rehoming her, we're leaving Australia), but she was landed on us as no one wanted her that we could find and she was so tiny and desperate! I can't look her in the eye now!

Thanks, but I can't put her in a shelter - I don't think she'd survive it.!

It sounds like you love her very much and it's a shame if you can't take poor Penny back with you, although I guess if she's that nervous it might be a bit much for her?

SA Dog Rescue (SADR) are a fantastic organisation and not the same as a shelter. SADR take dogs and cats from shelters then place them in foster homes where they are assessed to find the best possible home ie with other animals, kids etc. They care very deeply and are fantastic, non-fluffy people who would do the best for Penny :)

I would love to see her being vaccuumed though! :wubclub:

Good luck,

LC

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Serena!

I am sure she would be fine in a shelter, cats are pretty adaptable, and you would be sure that she would Always have a home, as Snifter has said before, if a shelter finds her a home and they end up not keeping her the shelter will take her back.

You don't really know the future of anyone you may find to take her and she may end up with no home. My friend is currently feeding a cat that someone on her street "let go"

just think if the people who got you to take her had taken her to a shelter you would not be in this possition now and a baby kitten would have been snapped up by someone!

good luck claire

I didn't know that at the time! I feel worse now!
Hi Serena!

I am sure she would be fine in a shelter, cats are pretty adaptable, and you would be sure that she would Always have a home, as Snifter has said before, if a shelter finds her a home and they end up not keeping her the shelter will take her back.

Please don't torture yourself with guilt; you did a kind thing. At worst it was short-sighted if you knew you weren't staying long but at best, you helped save Penny's life.:notworthy:

As Snifter suggested, please make sure any shelter you take her to has a no-kill policy. The RSPCA does not and in SA, during the 2011/12 financial year, the RSPCA shelters ended up with 4,284 dogs and 3,942 cats.

Of which a total of 3,024 were killed.

This is not meant as a criticism of the RSPCA, or any other kill-policy shelter, as I think they do a fabulous job. However, I think it's important to know the benefits of looking at the smaller, no-kill, animal shelters as well as recognising what might happen to a 'cherished' pet if you decide you no longer want/need/can deal with it. (that is not directed at you Serena, it's just something I feel strongly about so I have a quick rant whenever I get the opportunity lol!)

:wubclub:

LC

* "5,063 were admitted as strays, 2,745 were surrendered by their owners,1 and others arrived via our animal cruelty inspection and rescue operations. "This and earlier statistics were taken from a report submitted by the RSPCA SA dated 30 January 2013.

Edited by Lazy Cow
Try to change font etc :)

Thanks LC, I know but I never thought I could or would become the sort of person who could dump an animal like this. I feel like a total ****. If it comes to me taking her to a shelter, I just know I'll be getting my husband to do it! Pathetic or what!

Thanks LC, I know but I never thought I could or would become the sort of person who could dump an animal like this. I feel like a total ****. If it comes to me taking her to a shelter, I just know I'll be getting my husband to do it! Pathetic or what!

Not pathetic at all. :wubclub:

You obviously love her...you kept her alive against all odds, have cared for her, vaccuumed her and are still taking responsibility for her <3

All I'm saying is: choose a no-kill shelter, then you WILL know Penny's ok :)

LC

Guest Claire-n-tel
I didn't know that at the time! I feel worse now! Guess I'll have to do like the Aussies and suck it up.

Don't feel bad Serena:wubclub: sorry that wasn't my intention:embarressed: I just think the whole shelter thing (a no kill one as LC said) is your best option as hard as it would be to leave her there you'd know she is always going to be safe and well cared for.

I know how you feel re getting your husband to take her, i think i would be the same, i think i embaressed the vet when we had to have our rat put to sleep cause i blubbed so much!

Contact the rescue I linked to above. They put animals in foster homes as has been said.

• 5 weeks later...

So happy to hear you found a happy home for Penny.

Assuming it works out (and it seems to be from what you posted :wubclub:) it doesn't sound as though you need to feel bad for Penny, more like you'll feel sad to say goodbye to the kitty you rescued.

Leaving a companion is always sad...but I guess that just shows how much you love her.

:) LC