Food. What do you miss.

Guest mark&rachel

Guest Claire-n-tel

It's weird how your tastes change huh? When we first left uk there was loads that we missed (although we were in west africa for 6 months and the food there would have you craving ANYTHING!:err:)

So in the begining here i missed a few things but we seem to not really think about them anymore. We were in the uk in november and the week before we went started talking about the foods we were going to eat, we actually didnt even have half of them!

Now i can honestly say i dont really miss anything, i still eat marmite NOT vegemite and all our visitors from the uk come with a huge jar (no marmite, no bed!)

My mum arrives next week and asked me if we wanted anything, we asked for twiglets (me) and revels (tel) but they feel like more of a treat just as chips and chocolate here are. Shame i didnt read this thread before i could have had her bring an extra case just full of food for PIA!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in England most of my life and never went to a chip shop if I wanted a curry... I went to a chip shop for fish and chips, and and Indian takeaway for a curry. What a strange idea to get curry in a chip shop! Chips and gravy on the other hand is a fantastic Australian tradition - Cafe de Vili's on South Road does THE best!

Guest Guest75
I've lived in England most of my life and never went to a chip shop if I wanted a curry... I went to a chip shop for fish and chips, and and Indian takeaway for a curry. What a strange idea to get curry in a chip shop! Chips and gravy on the other hand is a fantastic Australian tradition - Cafe de Vili's on South Road does THE best!

Never had a curry from a Chinese take away??

Chips with curry sauce is just the best.

You have never lived!!!!

You'

Never had a curry from a Chinese take away??

Chips with curry sauce is just the best.

You have never lived!!!!

I don't think it's a big thing in Essex..... kebabs shaved off an elephant's leg were more the go I think there....

Guest Guest5035
I don't think it's a big thing in Essex..... kebabs shaved off an elephant's leg were more the go I think there....

more refined in Essex

stevo

The only things left now are Salad cream, HP sauce and the occasional box of Mcvities chocolate digestives.

They're all here, just have to look. (Coles supermarkets)

Now, if you want something bad enough, you can get it and pay for it at www.gourmetgroceronline.com.au My bro-in-law and his partner own and run it. Food is shipped in special boxes with ice packs to keep it fresh. Pricy but worth it, 'specially the cheeses.

PS Get my refined tastes from ESSEX. Yo.

I missed the M&S choice of Easter Eggs at Easter but we managed..., I think it's supermarket quality I miss most rather than actual specific items and certainly through the summer the abundance of delicious and juicy fruit and veg was fantastic.

I miss the second "G" in veggies....

And (I can't remember who said about Cadbury's Buttons) but the Cadbury's Melts that they sell for using in cooking taste just like UK chocolate Buttons.

Guest 21TWillis

Dream of Real Fresh Haddock n Chips with mushy peas, salt n vinegar and a Mauns bread cake followed by a strong cuppa.....awesome feast!

Guest Guest75
Dream of Real Fresh Haddock n Chips with mushy peas, salt n vinegar and a Mauns bread cake followed by a strong cuppa.....awesome feast!

You don't happen to be from West Yorkshire????

Really looking forward to going back to England (Essex actually!) next month. Top of the list of food is decent pork sausages, a proper curry (at the Bombay Butler in Stansted with onion bhajis), cod and chips and curry sauce, pork pies, hula hoops, decent custard, a pint of real ale, scampi, tea bags without strings, those lovely cold chicken and ham pies you get from the deli counter in Waitrose, smoked mackeral with peppercorns, proper tartare sauce, decent potato salad and coleslaw (Sainsburys posh one with parsnips is lovely).... the list is endless. Looking forward to shopping at Tescos, Sainsburys, Asdas and Waitrose and rediscovering things I've long forgotten.

We're heading back to the UK for a holiday in a couple of weeks time and I'm looking forward to a decent curry and a Chinese take away or three! I'm also ridiculously over excited as my mum has a stash of Cadbury's mini eggs for me (which I will NOT be sharing with the kids!) There's really nothing I miss anymore though, having been here so long we've forgotten most things. As somebody said earlier, it's more the convenience of the supermarkets and the vast choices there. Having said that, the last time we were in the UK I found myself completely overwhelmed in Tesco as there was just too much!

Whilst I'm not sitting on the floor rocking from side to side crying, I have to say there is lots I miss or wished I could have here as good as I remember in England.

A fantastic Carvery with a Yorkshire Pud nearly as big as your plate, Cod & Chips and curry sauce, those deep fried battered mushrooms with Smokey BBQ dip, Chinese Curry, a kebab pizza from my pizza house Lichfield, Cool Original Doritos, Pork Scratchings, Marks and Spencer's Corn flake cakes.

There are lots I would miss from here too if the roles were reversed.

Whilst I'm not sitting on the floor rocking from side to side crying, I have to say there is lots I miss or wished I could have here as good as I remember in England.

A fantastic Carvery with a Yorkshire Pud nearly as big as your plate, Cod & Chips and curry sauce, those deep fried battered mushrooms with Smokey BBQ dip, Chinese Curry, a kebab pizza from my pizza house Lichfield, Cool Original Doritos, Pork Scratchings, Marks and Spencer's Corn flake cakes.

There are lots I would miss from here too if the roles were reversed.

KEBAB PIZZA????? Ugh, Rob!

Guest 21TWillis
You don't happen to be from West Yorkshire????

Yes you guessed...Mirfield... was it the Mauns breadcakes that gave it away?