Diane

Populating Mars in 2023

Saw on Sunrise this morning about the Dutch company that plans to send four people to live in Mars in 2023. They will spend the rest of their lives there.

Been thinking through who would be the best people to do this (I get bored walking the dog!!)... and my choices for the four would be...

1. A doctor - obvious reasons, needs to be someone with excellent all round skills, including surgery

2. An engineer - to fix things that go wrong, come up with innovative ideas of how to do things, problem solving

3. A botanist - to grow plants for food, materials, health etc

4. A Project Manager/Facilitator - to organise everyone into a cohesive team, manage the skills of the others, intermediate in disputes etc.

Any thoughts?

Original story here http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/apr/22/mars-one-project-astronauts

Edited by Diane

Interesting article....I'd replace the project manager (they don't really do anything useful afterall) with Arnold Schwarzenegger :wink:

Guest Guest75
    Replace the project manager with just about anything and it would be an improvement!

Chuck Norris comes to mind.................... Never know if there will be an entire native/alien population to calm down.

I can think of a few people who should be sent to Mars.... but I was thinking more of trying to make the project work rather than having everyone kill each other!!

Guest Guest75
    I can think of a few people who should be sent to Mars.... but I was thinking more of trying to make the project work rather than having everyone kill each other!!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sure this has not started already - seems to be a few missing from this forum :biggrin:

Sure this has not started already - seems to be a few missing from this forum :biggrin:

No we've just got them safely locked away in a cupboard - I take them in TimTams now and again to keep them mellow!

Guest Guest5035

perhaps theres a opening for someone to export british foods to Mars.:eek:

stevo

LOL Jim, but all those strong egos in one place, all thinking they are right and the most important.... they would all kill each other within days! A friend was saying about a book she read with a similar premise where the fourth person was a clown - both to make the others laugh and to give them a common butt of their jokes. Perhaps we should have one of those instead!

LOL Jim, but all those strong egos in one place, all thinking they are right and the most important.... they would all kill each other within days! A friend was saying about a book she read with a similar premise where the fourth person was a clown - both to make the others laugh and to give them a common butt of their jokes. Perhaps we should have one of those instead!

It took until near the back end of the 20th century before the wishy-washy, namby-pamby, PC brigade do-gooders (you might be getting a sense of how I feel about them!) had infiltrated industry to the point that teams needed 'facilitators' and their ilk, and you're looking to have them established on Mars right from the beginning! The only reason I can see for possibly volunteering to go all that way would be to get away from that kind of person ... :goofy:

I hear you - I can barely move my mouse or tap on my keyboard at work these days without someone from change management telling me I know what I am doing and I have approval.

A clown - ideal, that's much better. A sense of humor will always win the day - it's the only reason I come to work, to lighten up my Australian work buddies day with my comical and slightly awkward English ways. I think they really appreciate it.....if you can call having your head flushed down the toilet appreciation.

Bear Grylls would be my choice - he can do anything!

Did you see that pic of the foot of one of his team though, who had been bitten by a snake?!! I would put a link up but it's pretty horrific and probably should be X Rated...

I don't know how many creepy crawlies there are on Mars (at the moment) so Bear might have trouble finding something to eat...

Perhaps instead of a Facilitator then, how about a "wife" - of either gender.

Guest Guest75

OK....................... Dammit!!!

It HAS to Be Flash Gordon................ cue Queen music.....................

OK....................... Dammit!!!

It HAS to Be Flash Gordon................ cue Queen music.....................

That film is legend - they don't make them like that anymore......

Any thoughts?

Yes. Mark Brandon 'Copper' Read. If the doctor, engineer or botanist wasn't pulling their weight he could 'stand over' them. He could also deal with the project manager too.......

if Chopper is not available. Send Tyke!