Moving in June-question about transport system

Guest shellbell1979

Does anyone know if the Mawsons Lake suburb is any good?

Having a look at lots of different options for us. Wish someone could do it for me lol ;)

Mawson Lakes is quite a new suburb and is very nice although the houses are a bit close together for my liking - the tendency with new builds is to put as big a house as possible on a block (a bit the same as the UK really). It's definitely worth a look. We considered it when we moved over but we weren't too happy with the senior school it's zoned for and it's too far away from my mother in law. The primary school looked good and there is a good private school there as well. I'd take a look when you get here and see what you think.

My hubby drives from Seaford to Mawson Lakes every day - its doable and if you want to live in the South its the only way. Who knows, you might even be able to car share.

I would suggest getting a short term rental for a little while and see how you get on with the travelling and in that time you can check out the Northern Suburbs to live too!

Good Luck :smile:

Anything is doable, but why waste all that time and money driving?

In Adelaide there is not often a need to travel 50kms to work every day. That's a lot of wasted family time and money on petrol.

Also, I guess working at the Calvary most your colleagues, and possible new friends will not live that far away.

Anything is doable, but why waste all that time and money driving?

In Adelaide there is not often a need to travel 50kms to work every day. That's a lot of wasted family time and money on petrol.

Who said it was a waste of money?? We want to live in the South and OH has a good job in the North? Its our choice and not a lot of wasted Family time - he leaves when they are in bed and is home just after school finishes. (Wow - didnt realise you could have Family time first thing in the morning! :wink:)

Anyway I did suggest a short term rental etc etc and checking out the North. IN MY OPINION Adelaide is a lovely place to live and there are some lovely views on the commute to work :smile:

Take it you're having a "grumpy" day? :notworthy:

Shellbell1979.

You have asked for specific information on transport related to your circumstance and I have tried to supply this for your benefit.

As you already have a job in North Adelaide, which is just North of The City, you will need to drive close to the city centre to get to work (if you drive). This means getting caught in the heavy city traffic, which will add to your journey time. If you live south or east the journey will be longer with traffic than if you live North, North west, or North East as you will not have to pass through the City. Same scenario re buses, the bus can take extra 20mins to get through the city in heavy traffic times. This is very different from a journey that will bypass the city completely (such as the journey described by Howard), or one that will take you opposite the main flow of traffic, which may happen if you work shifts. You already mentioned you don't want a long commute and living in an outer suburb, whether it be Christies in the South, Gawler in the North or Mt barker in the East will impact greatly on your journey time. Using Google maps, Mawson Lakes to Nth Adelaide is 11.2km, Seaford to Nth Adelaide is 39km. If you do work night shift, this could be the difference between getting home before OH needs to leave for work or not for example. You also mentioned you are on one wage initially, so petrol costs would be a consideration to you as would the possible need for 2 cars if you need a car for work and so does OH for getting around and kids to school etc, plus the cost of paying for parking in North Adelaide - around $10-$15 per day, but possibly free at night. Rental cost may be a bit higher in the inner suburbs, but overall are you better off if commuting costs are less and you are more time rich? I am not answering this question, merely posing it.

All the pros and cons to be weighed up by you, to suit the lifestyle you want.

Guest shellbell1979

Thanks for all the info guys, it's really helped us a lot.

I think the best option for us is to live closer to the city.

Can't wait til we step on that flight on 6th June :D