Guest MrsHills

Phuket, ideas please

Guest MrsHills

Morning all,

Well we have decided to take a holiday outside Australia, (first time!!) and thought we would like to take a look at Phuket. So any ideas of where to stay etc would be gratefully recieved!

2 Adults and 2 children 8 and 10. No we dont like nightlife, well not any more!, but do like to eat out and have a stroll early on. (Just dont want too many 'ladyboys' showing their wears to my boys :biglaugh:)

Many thanks all

Mrs H

Phuket has plenty of night life and girls with boys bits.

not sure I'd take my kids there..

i would maybe make sure your away from Bangla road we stopped at the bursarie over stared and average!

i hear karabi is nicer or one if the islands

good luck with the holiday...

Thailand is nice but not the best place to take children. Malaysia is much better, what about Penang or Langkawi? I've been to Penang, loads to do there, very interesting place.

Guest patsmb
    Morning all,

Well we have decided to take a holiday outside Australia, (first time!!) and thought we would like to take a look at Phuket. So any ideas of where to stay etc would be gratefully recieved!

2 Adults and 2 children 8 and 10. No we dont like nightlife, well not any more!, but do like to eat out and have a stroll early on. (Just dont want too many 'ladyboys' showing their wears to my boys :biglaugh:)

Many thanks all

Mrs H

I would try Koh Samui with kids -Phuket can be a bit well brash in some ways Have stayed at the Yorkshire Inn in Phuket though and its central -close to Bangla Road but not too close

Guest LittleMissWildChild

I didn't think too much of Phuket, very touristy, very brash. However I really recommend Koh Lanta, which is pretty close to Phuket. It is very chilled and quiet, and perfect for children. We have been there a couple of times, last time was in Feb with our then 9 month old. The beaches are lovely, there are loads of activities which are child friendly such as elephant trekking, walking dogs at the animal shelter, kayaking, snorkelling, there is a national park where you can visit wild monkeys etc etc. it's not a party island so there are no drunk backpackers or full moon parties. It's also really small so it is easy to get around and see the whole island, and it is very cheap, much cheaper for food and accommodation than Phuket. I really rate it, it's fab!

Guest Bodie

We went to Phuket last Sept/Oct as a family our kids are 7 & 10. We had an absolute blast. Stayed in the Laguna Outrigger resort in our own villa + pool. Resort was pretty empty so we had plenty of personalised attention. Visited the orangutan (sp) sanctuary, water park and the night markets.Enjoyed the marvellous Thai hospitality and didn't see any of the 'seedier' sides of this wonderful country that it is renound for. In reflection. Do your homework, tripadvisor is a goos starting point. We will be returning to the same venue his year. If you do , try the BlackCat restaurant. Free pour cocktails you won't be disappointed. B.

If you want a really relaxing holiday, try Vanuatu. Beautiful people in an unchanged environment. Sort of stepping back into the 1940's. Half French, half English. No night life to speak off but after a day of swimming in crystle clear waters, snorkling, scuba or au-naturaal, followed by full body massage on the beach, who needs to go clubbing. We stayed just outside Port Vila at the Crown Plaza resort which has since been taken over by Warick and is known as 'Le Lagon', a 5 star resort and new convention center.

http://www.lelagonvanuatu.vu/ Watch the video to see typical scenery etc. (Ignore the C.C. bits, they'll probably be empty anyway)

Vanuatu is made up of 72 islands, each offering varying levels of comfort. If you want, you can become beach-bums on the more northern island (no power and lots of mossies).

Things may well have changed a lot since we were there in the early 90's but I doubt it's as over populated as anywhere else (don't go to Bali) and you certainly won't be pestered with street beggars/hawkers.

The NET is a good place to start.

If you want a really relaxing holiday, try Vanuatu. Beautiful people in an unchanged environment. Sort of stepping back into the 1940's. Half French, half English. No night life to speak off but after a day of swimming in crystle clear waters, snorkling, scuba or au-naturaal, followed by full body massage on the beach, who needs to go clubbing. We stayed just outside Port Vila at the Crown Plaza resort which has since been taken over by Warick and is known as 'Le Lagon', a 5 star resort and new convention center. http://www.lelagonvanuatu.vu/ Watch the video to see typical scenery etc. (Ignore the C.C. bits, they'll probably be empty anyway) Vanuatu is made up of 72 islands, each offering varying levels of comfort. If you want, you can become beach-bums on the more northern island (no power and lots of mossies). Things may well have changed a lot since we were there in the early 90's but I doubt it's as over populated as anywhere else (don't go to Bali) and you certainly won't be pestered with street beggars/hawkers. The NET is a good place to start.

We liked Vanuatu, but found it very expensive (to eat/drink etc) last year - plus unfortunately the crystal clear waters are fed by rivers that flow through villages with insufficient facilities for the number of people, so invisible untreated waste is often in the water. All of our family, and most of the other people there, ended up with severe stomach upsets and sickness after (and during) our holiday, despite taking every precaution with what we ate and drank. I don't know if we'd hurry back to be honest.

Sorry to hear that your holiday wasn't all that you'd hoped for. Things could have changed over the years but I'm surprised to hear that the water is polluted. There doesn't appear to be anything on the net that confirms a problem.

Guest MrsHills

thanks all for the advice, will do some surfing :)

Phuket is fantastic, went 2 1/2 years ago and stayed in the northern end of Patong, loads of restaurants (Hard Rock Cafe, Hogs Breath, Irish Pubs, Theme Restaurants galore) oh yeah and some Thai ones too. We did elephant trek, ATV, Tour of Temples, Shopping days, Water Park, Cave Canoeing, James Bond Island, Simon Cabaret, Fantasia show, Mu tie fighting (maybe not with kids) and a ping pong show (definitely no for the kids). The beach at Patong is seriously crowded, and street sellers can get on your nerves, but many hotels are really nice, ours had 2 pools, swim up bar and even a bowling alley, it was called Graceland.

Even this year I went on Honeymoon to Phuket, stayed in a private villa in Thalang, not anywhere near as busy as patong, and certainly didn't have the seedier side of Thailand. Just spent 2 perfect weeks in a private pool, then eating and drinking too much every night.

I have heard other islands are very nice also, just quieter.

"Ping Pong Show"? Live sex? Was called "Exhibish" when I lived in Singapore many moons ago.