Ford announces closure of manufacturing operations in Australia

Mr Technical

FORD will close its manufacturing operations in Australia and 1200 workers will lose their jobs in October 2016, despite receiving $1.1 billion in taxpayer funding over the past decade.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ford-australia-to-shut-broadmeadows-car-factory-geelong-engine-plant/story-e6frede3-1226648895882

I reckon it wont be long till Holden follows.

I reckon it wont be long till Holden follows.

Whilst I do not want to see anyone to loose their job. Unfortunately I think you are correct. As far as australian production in Elizabeth that is. They only manufacture basically two vehicles there. The cruise and the commodore (sedan and ute). All other Holdens are already manufactured abroad already (except HSV). Their production figures are tiny. 70,000 cars this year with quiet a large workforce. They are manufacturing a product that too few people want. (Much like the old MG versions of Rover cars. An old model with big engines, bright paintwork and large alloy wheels). Holden rely on exports. But with the ozzy dollar so high. It must be killing them. To make things worse. Their parent company GM are importing Opel cars, made in Europe, as direct completion.

With ford going and Holden on its last legs. That only leaves Toyota in Melbourne. If that goes too. Then the government will then have no excuse for stopping the personal importation of cars by its citizens (To protect the australian car market) and can reduce the high taxes placed on imported cars. As they will not have to spend millions of dollars bailing out uneconomical businesses. But I doubt it....

Component manufacturers were struggling desperately serving just three makes - take one away and chances are there won't be enough of a critical mass to support the industry even if Toyota wanted to continue (Holden's just hanging around long enough to see if any more money comes its way before it locks the doors for good).

A few weeks before Holden announced its scaling back exercise, government muppets - state and federal - were banging on about it being 'vital' that the automotive industry stay here: the technology in cars is advancing quickly and that gives an expertise that can't be gained from any other industry blah blah. Today, those same cretins were saying that things won't be too bad if (when) there's no motor industry here ...

Knock on effects for losing this key industry is 50 thousand high skill jobs.

since moving to Adelaide I do find myself suffering with a bad case of deja vu....

as I ex motor industry worker........ (stand by for the .. you where always on strike, cars were rubbish, union this, rubbish that the misinformed believe.. comments)

oh and Jeremy Clarkson did more damage to the uk car industry than Red Robbo could ever do. there is a lot of reasons for the loss of a home market car industry.. like the time I commented to the uk farmer about his "buy British beef sticker in the window of his Mercedes" its a two way street.

but then i'm just as guilty, because I brought with me my big engined MG with the fancy paint and alloy wheels.. but funny ever time I take some thing apart its covered in BMW stamping.. but thats another story..

Edited by Trickyshel
i cant shell!! oops spell

I think "time" will tell how it pans out. There is this news story from last night http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/holden-pleads-for-help-as-ford-closes-shop-in-australia/story-fndbbp4c-1226649540331

I heard him make those statements and had to admire how hardfaced he is. Billions in handouts when other industries that are similarly struggling get nothing, job losses announced just this year in SA and Vic, products that neither match the competition nor the buying wishes of the public, and a veiled threat that they're coming back for more tax-payers money or they'll shut up shop even earlier than they already intend to.

On the radio this morning they were talking about spin, and listed some of the words used in yesterday's Ford announcement that it was stopping production in Australia. It was all about 'increasing', 'greater commitment to Australia', 'exciting developments', 'transition' etc. Not once did words 'closure' or 'redundancies' get used. These companies can only be judged on their actions, not their words.

A friend was saying their friend at Holden told them 2 years ago that Holden is going to close in 2015, so we will wait and see.

I reckon it is all spin, media, government and the car industries.

For example all the publicity about rego reducing by $100 from 1 July that was reported in the news and in the papers, I ring up about it as ours are due June and the rego place advise me that it is just media hype at the moment and there is no official word on it and we just renew as usual.