Guest ColinOz

Australia the world's happiest nation: OECD

You don't realise how good you have it until you see first hand how some other people live.

Just returned from overseas and was shocked at the changes and the state of decline in my former home. It's certainly going to get financially worse in Oz but everything is relative.

Tamara

The telling thing about the comments - apart from them rubbishing the survey - is how quickly they turned into a pom-bashing exercise. Where have I seen that before? :biggrin:

Guest sithewindows

My thoughts exactly. This explains why we still want to come and live in Adelaide, even when we are told things are not good.

You don't realise how good you have it until you see first hand how some other people live.

Just returned from overseas and was shocked at the changes and the state of decline in my former home. It's certainly going to get financially worse in Oz but everything is relative.

Tamara

Ignorance is bliss I guess. Reminds me of this line from a parody of the IF poem by Rudyard Kipling:

If you can keep out of your head when all about you

Are losing theirs …maybe you don’t really understand what the problem is.

In my opinion there are many logical reasons why that survey comes out with Australia on top. Australia may be heading for a financial "crisis", there are clearly issues with jobs and manufacturing and I know first hand that you encounter heinously retarded attitudes to race which you don't get elsewhere - but if you add some context against the rest of the world then it's still, in many ways, a nicer place to live with more opportunities to live a happier life.

Guest sithewindows

Guess thats why 95% of the people taking the English test when I did mine were trying to get in to the UK. Myself and two others were the only ones trying to get to Aus. Or perhaps we were the ignorant ones?

Regardless of where Australia (and the UK) came on that survey I'd find it a strange one. Taking some of the 11 categories, in 'housing' a key measure is how satisfied occupants are with their property. That's such a culturally biased question. You might have better property in one country (better in terms of density, construction quality and materials, building standards and regulations etc) but more satisfied occupants in a country where worse standards are the norm. With the 'civic engagement' category, the key measure is voter turnout. In some of the countries surveyed - like Australia - voting is compulsory. Guess who comes top in that!

In the category that does measure happiness - 'life satisfaction' - neither Australia nor the UK come in the top ten.

The UK scores better than Australia in six of the 11 categories: 'jobs', 'income', 'work life balance', 'safety' (crime), 'environment' (clean air and water etc) and 'community' (volunteering, helping others), and I imagine there are quite a few on here who would dispute those!

:biggrin: