Guest Paula H

Will we be able to re sign for less than a year?

Guest Paula H

What usually happens when your rental is up for renewal and you don't want to sign for a year? Are the landlords happy to sign for 1,3 or 6 months?

Guest smit

Would be best to talk to agent or lanlord, you might get away with 6 months.

Ask if you can move onto a periodic lease where you only need to give one months notice, and explain why.

We have just agreed to this with our tenants as they have said they could be re-locating with jobs later in the year. We did it with others who were looking to buy and some who were building a house.

Our house has never been empty for long so we do not see it as an issue.

Some landlords however are very unflexible but might just agree to a 6 month lease.

All you can do is ask nicely and explain why you want a shorter lease.

I know when we were renting 2007/2008 the demand for rental properties was crazy and people were fighting (not literally!!) for a place to rent and at that time we offered 6 months rent up front to get a place. At that time we asked for a shorter renewal on our lease and the answer was 1 year or nothing.

Like with everything it is supply and demand and times seem to have changed and there now appears to be more places to rent than tenants. My colleague is struggling to rent her property out and is open to varying lease lengths and another colleague is moving out of her rental and says there are 2 others up for rent on her street and 2 for sale. So I would definitely ask the question and try and negotiate.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

When our lease came up for renewal we asked for 10 months instead of 12 because I wasn't sure my contract at work would get renewed - the landlord went for it - no reason not to I guess.