Guest emmamichaelbrown

What do we need to be able to rent a property?

Guest emmamichaelbrown

Hi,

We are moving over Mid December and have short term accommodation until Mid Feb. In that time we need to look for a long term rental property, but as we have never rented a property before, I am not sure what we will need. Do we need a reference of any kind, or a permanent job etc? Or are most rental companies happy if you just pay your bond and the first couple of months rent up front.

It's just I am worried that because we have never rented we will be unable to provide a reference from a previous landlord?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

The Browns

Guest Haythem Hassan
    Hi,

We are moving over Mid December and have short term accommodation until Mid Feb. In that time we need to look for a long term rental property, but as we have never rented a property before, I am not sure what we will need. Do we need a reference of any kind, or a permanent job etc? Or are most rental companies happy if you just pay your bond and the first couple of months rent up front.

It's just I am worried that because we have never rented we will be unable to provide a reference from a previous landlord?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

The Browns

Im in the same place, Im moving on September, I need to ask you how you managed to get the short rental till feb?

Guest Adelaide_bound

It's actually illegal for them to ask you to pay more than 6 weeks bond and two weeks rent in advance, its one of the points of the tennancy act, so if they do ask you to pay more just walk away. We just secured our first rental here, took us 2 weeks and was the second one we applied for (the first one the agent was useless and has only just let the owner know we are intetested).

Despite being in oz for 16 months we didn't really have any rental.history here, as we had been travelling for all that time, so did a couple of things.1) asked our short term rental landlord to reference for us (he did)

2) asked a friend to reference for us, as we had also stayed with him for 3 weeks

3) printed out our rent receipts from our last place in the UK - mortgage statements would cover that I'd you haven't rented (but as ours were just homemade PDF statements from our previous private landlord, I don't put too much stocj in thiose).

4) wrote a loooong letter explaining who we are, what we do, why we don't have history here, why we don't have perm. Jobs yet, etc

5) showed a copy of a bank statement that had a few grand in.

They didn't bother contacting anyone from the UK, its all done quiet quickly, but applications do go to the owner of the property for them to approve or not, so I think the letter was a huge help as it painted the picture that we want a lovely home to live in so will look after the place (its a brand new build) and we're good for the rent, which at the end of the day is what they want. As one agent who showed us another house said, she has people who earn a few grsnd a week who don't pay their rent, so there's more to life than money.

If you already have jobs imho I think it would be even easier.

Don't stress - there seem to be far more houses than people at the moment, so many new places flying up (whole streets in some areas) so you don't have to be too stressed about it (I know easier said than done - I've given myself stress issues galore over it lol)

Hth

:)

Guest Adelaide_bound

Ps, sorry.for typos, we don't.move in until next week and I'm still on my pants phone

I just went through the same thing with my partner and we'd only had house shares or short term rentals to now. It turned out we got offered a few places we viewed before we even applied. A couple of the agents said they had permission to essentially let the place to anyone they liked or 'had a good feeling about'. We ended up getting a place in glenelg that was the best of what we saw and we had been late for the 2 meeting we had with the agent. They called our previous landlord who we were just renting a room off and she said the call was just a quick call to confirm the dates we said. They never called other references. So don't stress about it too much, the process isn't as daunting as you'd think!

Guest Samanta

Hi Irishglover,

Are there any agents you can recommend as we are finding that Adelaide is more of a who you know is more important that anything else.

Regards

Sam

Hi Sam,

We were looking for a place near Glenelg and ended up going through Taplin Real Estate in Glenelg and the agents name was Barbera. The owner of the property was away in Dubai I think so she was authorised to let it on his behalf and she said she just told him she had a good vibe off us. I found it better to try and arrange a private viewing so you have a chance to talk to the agent rather than an open viewing where they are just bombarded and can't personalise with you