Leeds1877

Our jobs story so far....

We arrived here in march with realistic expectations on the work front so had savings to cover us for three months. In the uk I worked as a business analyst in a contact centre for 15 years so had ton of experience in many roles including team leader, resource, manager etc. upon arriving in Adelaide I applied for lots of jobs on seek for large corporations in the hope that my cv would catch me a break. It did- I was offered three jobs in my first fortnight and eventually took one at a well known communications company. I am starting my career again, manning the phones with the intention of building again from the bottom. Love it so far and the money is the same as I was paid in uk but with much less pressure.

My hubby registered for teaching and did the courses in the first weeks so was ready to do TRT at the start of term 2. He registered with the TRT pools and spent two days driving to lots of schools handing out business cards and cvs. (We referred to this as him pimping himself out) after two days work he was approached by the principal who knew someone needing a good teacher in a tough school. He met them and was offered a contract for the rest of term 2, which has just been extended till the end of the year maybe longer. The school he is at is tough some days and is pushing and developing him as a professional.

the moral of this story is that there is work to be had out here but you have to work hard to get it and not expect it to land in your lap. It's a mix of luck, hard work and who you know. We are enjoying it so far and feel really settled, there are some grey days but no more than in the Uk.

So to all those who may be looking for work or worrying about coming out please see that it's not all doom and gloom and that there are positives everyday.

anna

Any tips so far as your cv or resume is concerned. Also do you have any tips ie linked in etc?

Thanks

I am not on linked in and we prepared our CVs in the uk ahead if getting out here. The only thing I added different was voluntary work. Other than the weather Australia is almost exactly the same as uk, we just approached the job hunt as we would have done in uk.

Yep I agree approach the job hunt as you would in UK. Call your CV a resume though. Also I'd highly recommend getting on LinkedIn - in some industries it'd be considered strange not to be on there. I'm sure there are many exceptions however. It's a great place to connect with people - I recently moved back into an industry I loved but left a year ago, and did lots of linkedin networking, adding CEOs and general managers in companies I was interested in, explaining that I was looking to move back into the industry and expanding my network. It doesn't hurt to try. Good luck!