Best Cheap Flight Sites

Misplaced

I know this has probably been asked before but I have done a search and nothing has come up. However, I am sure that it has so apologies to the regulars!

Anyway, what I would like to know is the best websites to look for the cheapest flights to Oz?

Or the best way to get the best deal!

Cheers,

Misplaced

Guest Banksy
I know this has probably been asked before but I have done a search and nothing has come up. However, I am sure that it has so apologies to the regulars!

Anyway, what I would like to know is the best websites to look for the cheapest flights to Oz?

Or the best way to get the best deal!

Cheers,

Misplaced

http://www.skyscanner.net/

Be aware if you want more generous baggage allowance you need to look at Emirates as they offer 30kg as standard.

Also the flights that are broken up with an overnight somewhere can often come in cheaper. Airline will sort and cover hotel for night etc.

Guest PaulandVicky

Point to also note flying back to the uk is expensive, people have bought a return from the uk and kept it open. You may as well as it can work out the same for a single fee. Check out Singapore,emerites etc then compare it on the say au flight centre website.

just something else to perhaps consider!?!!

Malaysian also offer 30kg checked baggage now to compete with Emirates. I usually find Malaysian are the cheapest airline that fly direct from Adelaide (ie not Adelaide then Melb or Sydney before stopping in Asia).

I usually check Best Flights and Skyscanner then check against the airline's own websites... then I ask my friend who is a travel agent to book - so she can get her commission and so I have less stress if anything goes wrong.

Guest Guest75

I'll vote for Emirates, they are beating Singapore in terms of value, quality and travel time.

I flew up to the UK with them last week.

Paid just short of $2k here for a return trip.

Yep - 30K both ways on luggage.

Great travel times - just 1.45 hours transfer time in Dubai.From my door to my Bro's in 24 hours!

Take off times are great and coming back here for us is a great time at 8.05pm - this may cause probs for incomers as there might not be any care hire and late to accommodation.

Onboard service was good - food luvverly.

What really narks me is the difference in cost against what you would pay in the UK!!!

Good luck!

Also I have shares in Emirates :wink: does that count as a "Business mention"?:biglaugh:

Edited by Guest75
retort.

Guest vikkiann
I'll vote for Emirates, they are beating Singapore in terms of value, quality and travel time.

I flew up to the UK with them last week.

Paid just short of $2k here for a return trip.

Yep - 30K both ways on luggage.

Great travel times - just 1.45 hours transfer time in Dubai.From my door to my Bro's in 24 hours!

Take off times are great and coming back here for us is a great time at 8.05pm - this may cause probs for incomers as there might not be any care hire and late to accommodation.

Onboard service was good - food luvverly.

What really narks me is the difference in cost against what you would pay in the UK!!!

Good luck!

I've just booked this flight to go and see my dad in July.

A good deal, good flight times and 21.5 hours total travelling and 30kg for all my shopping!

Edited by Diane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest75

We flew with Emirates for a UK trip.

Perhaps not the cheapest but certainly the quickest!

The flight has just one stop in Dubai and it's quick! Just 1.75 hours for transfer to connecting flight!

DON'T dawdle!!

Less than 24 hours flying on our return.

Paying a little bit extra can be well worth it for the convienience of a quick flight, with longer travel times you can end up spending more with buying meals, transfers, hotel rooms and the like, not to mention fatigue as well, I have heard of people missing their connecting flight when falling asleep between flights.

Do your research and do not always accept what a travel agent tells you is only available. You can easily research schedules, planes and seating plans (seat guru), I have of late opted for flights which on certain A380 configurations have approx 50 economy seats upstairs generally quieter, quicker attentive service and almost guaranteed meal choice also all the window seats are in pairs with a storage compartment between seat and window, nice and roomy.

Its big money so research, research to get what you want.

A lot to be said for paying more for a shorter journey time if you're in a hurry, but personally I prefer to break it up a bit, even if only to wander around airport shops - after sitting doing nothing for far-too-many hours, the last thing I want is to jump straight onto another plane and sit doing nothing for another far-too-many hours!

Its not about been in a hurry it more of comfort and convienience, thats why you need to to some research, it must be a long time ago or old planes if you have to sit around doing nothing, I personally find plenty to do, what, with all the seat back entertainment, films, games, TV. as well as newspapers, magazines and books, then you have the meals, snacks and drinks services, getting up and having a walk, chat to crew and other passengers and of course a little snooze now and again, almost like being at home sat infront of the TV all evening then going to bed with a good book before going to sleep!

Usually the best connections are 2-4 hours giving a nice break plenty of time to look around airport shops, but a 10+hour wait!!! even city centre shops could not keep you occupied for that long! and thats when the extra costs and fatigue start to creep in and usually make for a more unpleasnt journey.

Another tip for those long journeys is if you can make your return leg in a different month to your outward trip then you get a whole new lot of films and programmes on the seatback.

As I said its about research to get the best for you.

Guest Guest75
Its not about been in a hurry it more of comfort and convienience, thats why you need to to some research, it must be a long time ago or old planes if you have to sit around doing nothing, I personally find plenty to do, what, with all the seat back entertainment, films, games, TV. as well as newspapers, magazines and books, then you have the meals, snacks and drinks services, getting up and having a walk, chat to crew and other passengers and of course a little snooze now and again, almost like being at home sat infront of the TV all evening then going to bed with a good book before going to sleep!

Usually the best connections are 2-4 hours giving a nice break plenty of time to look around airport shops, but a 10+hour wait!!! even city centre shops could not keep you occupied for that long! and thats when the extra costs and fatigue start to creep in and usually make for a more unpleasnt journey.

Another tip for those long journeys is if you can make your return leg in a different month to your outward trip then you get a whole new lot of films and programmes on the seatback.

As I said its about research to get the best for you.

Blimey Keith you nearly sound like one of those rare folk who actually enjoy being trapped in that silver cigar!!:swoon:

Kidding - not a bad perspective to have.

Could just do with a bit more room at times though.

The 380 down to Dubai was great but but the 12 hour plus on a 777 was a little tighter!

Flipping jet lag is doing my head in:wacko::wacko:

But I have to say it's not as bad as when we travel with Singapore and have the 16 hour wait in Changi.

Might go to the gym later this arvo after I've caught up on a bit more work - that will make me sleep tonight!

Yes Tyke mind set has a lot to do with it. I am 6'2" so usually have problems with the layback seat in front hitting my knees but the way these newer planes seats recline i do not have that problem. I also appear to be lucky with jet-lag, but that maybe has something to do with the research I do in finding the better flights more suited to me in both timing and comfort. We usually fly once a year and the trip could be just to England or a round the world (with the round the world ticket sometimes a cheaper option at Xmas time) This November we fly with Malaysia to London, they were one of the cheapest but we begrudginly had to pay extra for the upstairs A380 seats, but more than worth it in our opinion.

Sleep tight

Its not about been in a hurry it more of comfort and convienience, thats why you need to to some research, it must be a long time ago or old planes if you have to sit around doing nothing

Although you don't quote me, it looks like your 'advice' is aimed at me, so I'll respond. I don't enjoy sitting in a plane - I've been in many, old and new, in every class, to every continent and flown hundreds of times - and reading a magazine, ordering food and watching TV is pretty much doing nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoy taking a break in between flights, unless I'm in a hurry.

Jim

Guest vikkiann
We flew with Emirates for a UK trip.

Perhaps not the cheapest but certainly the quickest!

The flight has just one stop in Dubai and it's quick! Just 1.75 hours for transfer to connecting flight!

DON'T dawdle!!

Less than 24 hours flying on our return.

I'm looking forward to doing this flight in 5 weeks.

1 of my friends is going the week before me and got a flight $300 less but an extra 10 hours travelling time. Sod that!

I am 6'2" so usually have problems with the layback seat in front hitting my knees but the way these newer planes seats recline i do not have that problem. I also appear to be lucky with jet-lag, but that maybe has something to do with the research I do in finding the better flights more suited to me in both timing and comfort. We usually fly once a year and the trip could be just to England or a round the world (with the round the world ticket sometimes a cheaper option at Xmas time) This November we fly with Malaysia to London, they were one of the cheapest but we begrudginly had to pay extra for the upstairs A380 seats, but more than worth it in our opinion.

Sleep tight

I am 5'10" and my partner is 6'2" and we are slightly round in shape ha ha and flying long distances are not particularly enjoyable for us. I like to do my research with regards seats. We ended up flying back to the UK 3 times in 18 months a few years ago and we went with Malaysia Airlines due to the flight times, short stopover times/quick route and knew which seats to request and by the third journey we had a system down pat! I think they have changed the planes now, so my research starts again, but thank you for the tips!

The thing I like with the Malaysia Airlines rewards system is you can buy 'points' off friends/relatives (or you used to be able to when we last flew). We bought some points off my mum and dad I think it cost us $54 in total as we were a few points short and with the 3 flights to the UK we managed to get 'free' flights return to Thailand and one of the flights was in business class. Of course with all these things there is no such thing as a free lunch and we had to pay the taxes but it still made it a cheaper flight/holiday. Although I have given up with the Malaysian Airlines call centre, you lose the will to live on hold and I just go into their offices now in Adelaide to get things sorted!

Edited by Jessica Berry

Jim, the aim was at the context of your comment about sat doing nothing, the intent was to show that there was something to do and in reality it's not much different to what quite a few people do at home every night.

I apologise if my comments were taken personally, but as I keep saying research to find that overall package which best suits you, it all adds up to a more comfortable journey, and if you like looking around airport shops then this needs to be included your research criterea. On this point you can research the airport too, we have often on longer layovers crossed to different terminals to have a look, and some airports even do free city tours (Singapore for one) some times we have caught a free hotel shuttle and had a coffee/meal by the pool, there are heaps of things which can all be researched before hand, and it all becomes part of the holiday, and hopefully sets your mind positively on having a more enjoyable journey.

I wish you well on any future journeys Jim as I do all other travellers. But I believe you may have just taken a big swipe at the majority of the population in saying that reading, eating and watching tv is doing nothing! no doubt the responses will come through from them soon.

We looked at Emirates via Dubai and only one of the Heathrow flights a day has the short stop showing, which if the first leg is delayed you run the risk of missing the connection and then having a wait. All the others seem to show 18-22 hours stop over, mostly overnights. Not appealing in the least.

Personally, I like the Singapore route. A few hours in Changi, grab a shower, let kidlet play, get some fresh air or take a swim and then head out on the next leg. Since Qantas and BA stopped code sharing the time frame for the layover can vary more but there are still more options for mid length stop overs than there are via Dubai that I can see. I like 4 hours or so on the ground usually and have found a few flights that have that or a bit more so its fine. SA also had a short turnaround stop over and longer ones. Something for everyone anyways. We are considering a hotel nap this time round but depends on a few things. I'm more than happy with just being off a plane for a few hours. Hong Kong, Malaysia, either of those are fine also but Singapore seems to have the most options for Adelaide.

Hubby has flown numerous routes, via Japan a few times which seems to be a cheaper route often but wow is it ever long. Factor in an overnight in a hotel somewhere in Japan but get a cheaper flight for the trouble.

....... I have of late opted for flights which on certain A380 configurations have approx 50 economy seats upstairs generally quieter, quicker attentive service and almost guaranteed meal choice also all the window seats are in pairs with a storage compartment between seat and window, nice and roomy.

Which airlines has the economy seats upstairs?

I have checked Emirates but they don't seem to have economy seats upstairs :-(