Guest Benoli

Car hire without credit card?

Guest Benoli

Anyone know where we could rent a family car in Adelaide where we don't need a credit card?? We did have a car booked but have had to cancel it. Since we're leaving the UK for good we cancelled our credit card but are now finding that the car hire company wants one presented to them before they'll give us the car!! Our flight is tomorrow (Monday) so no chance of getting one at such short notice!!! We can pay by debit card or cash......just need somewhere that'll help us out :)

Do you still have a debit card linked to a bank account? If so you should be able to use that when hiring a car. The hire car company want an imprint of a card so that they can make charges against it should you leave any damage or not fill the fuel tank at the end. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be an actual credit card - they call all cards credit cards over here, even if they are actually debit card. We've never had a credit card and we've never had an issue hiring a car over here when we came over on holidays.

Guest Benoli

We still have our UK bank debit cards and will pick up our new Oz bank cards on Wednesday when we validate our accounts. The small print on our car rental did state that debit cards weren't acceptable and it had to be a credit card. Could be just that company though......guess we'll just try wherever until someone gives us a car lol

do we also have to have our driving licence with us when hiring? I have mine but hubby is waiting on a new one so will be a week or two by the time he gets his. DVLA said they'd fax his details to whatever car company we use......will they accept it?

nothing like a good old last minute panic!!!!! lol

Guest vikkiann

Where are you staying?

Mick at MD autos hires cars out without a credit card, he's in Aldinga though.

He posts on here as mick and Shan.

Where are you staying?

Mick at MD autos hires cars out without a credit card, he's in Aldinga though.

He posts on here as mick and Shan.

Hi weve just came back from a reccie and we had the same problem, every company we went to wouldnt accept a debit card, as weve closed all of ours due to coming out. Luckily the business one on our business accounts still active. We drove down to see Mick from MD Autos and he said next time we come out he will help us out as we wont have one. Definatly get i touch with him though as he may not have much availability if you leave it to late. He may even get his wife (i think he said) to be able to bring it up nearer the city. Hes really helpful x

There is a place in Lonsdale that does rental with debit or cash called Lonsdale auto service centre,they have a few cars on the fleet as they also do general repair works as well. They might also be worth a call

Guest Itcheefeet

Hi Benoli,

We used Aussie Car Rentals in Brighton, they kindly delivered the car to us and we used our Lloyds Visa Debit. His name is Michael number 8358 3033 they were very helpful. You will also need to show a driving license paper or card will be fine. Good Luck ! We have been here almost 4 weeks now, I know how much there is to do - but it's worth it !