Guest Russ c

Driving licence

Guest Russ c

Hi I'm coming over on a 457 sub class 2 yr sponsorship visa, do we need to get an international driving licence or can it be sorted when we arrive in mid July

Russ c

Are you from the UK? If so you can drive on your UK license. Not sure about driving licenses from anywhere else though.

Guest Russ c

Yes uk, do I not have to get it changed because I'm there over 3 months

Guest Russ c

So what do I do about address on it if i keep my uk one, can you put Aussie address on it ?

Guest Guest6899

i never changed my Uk licence, i just put it away in my safe box, unsure if i should have let them know.. ooppsss

Guest NewInOz

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Motorists+from+overseas/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence

In Australia, laws and driving regulations differ from state to state. Some states require you to carry an International Licence with your current foreign licence. Other states request you carry your current foreign driver's licence together with a formal translation of your licence into English.

As a general rule, you are able to drive in Australia, as a visitor, on a valid overseas driver's licence that covers the same vehicle class for a maximum of three months after arriving in Australia.

If you are issued a permanent visa and become a resident of South Australia, you must obtain a South Australian driver’s licence within three months and you may be required to surrender your overseas driver's licence. Once you are issued with a South Australian learner's permit or driver's licence, your overseas licence is invalid. If you are issued a permanent visa and become a resident of South Australia, you must obtain a South Australian driver’s licence within three months and you may be required to surrender your overseas driver's licence. Once you are issued with a South Australian learner's permit or driver's licence, your overseas licence is invalid.