Guest amandaf

!8 year old son hates it what to do!

Guest amandaf

Hi my name is Amanda,

We moved over here January 2012 (me, hubby, son 18 and daughter 14) we knew at their ages it was going to be hard for them to establish new friend groups and such and eventually it seems my daughter has managed to settle in. On the other hand my son is finding it very difficult ( he not into sport, and had already left school in England) he has tried a couple of things TAFE and a semester at Senior College so that he may find some friendships but it hasn't worked out. He is quite a shy boy who's passion is mixing music, so if anybody could help me to see what was available out there for him and if any other 18 year old boys out there are in the same predicament. I am really starting to worry about him as he is not sleeping and is finding it increasingly difficult to leave the house.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Amanda

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Amanda! Sorry i can't help with social life etc but it sounds like he really should be seen by a doctor, not sleeping and also having difficulty leaving the house are both big signs of depression.

Best wishes Claire

Fresh Fm are advertising a few music mixing/producing courses in the city, as well as the station being ran by volunteers..... maybe have a look at there website and get with some ppl with the same interests.

http://fresh927.com.au/fresh-music-production-courses/

http://fresh927.com.au/membership/

Dan

Edited by scooterdan

Radio Adelaide is a volunteer run station that may be of interest to him - I think a lot of young people work there. Is he into live music? Places like the Gov and the Wheaty are pubs where it's very easy to go alone to gigs and get chatting to people - there would be lots of people also alone going just for the music rather than for a massive night of drinking. I sympathise, it must be very hard being a young person here not into sport.

I think I'd have struggled being a teen here. Even as an adult I'm shocked by how much importance is based on an interest in watching sport and AFL in particular. In so many social and work situations I've been in, I've been asked 'so do you go for Port or Crows?' as a first question (and presumably something to judge me on). I think an English friend in Melbourne summed it up for me when he said 'In Europe we name our roads after philosophers, writers, scientists... in Australia we name them after sports people.' Anyway, I digress.

I second the doctor perhaps if sleep etc is becoming an issue. What things did your son spend his spare time doing in the UK? Was he in any clubs etc he could join similar here? Best wishes.

Hi Amanda, I can only wish that what I write gives you some hope, my son was 20, and daughter 17 when we arrived Brisbane 14 years ago (yesterday now i'm thinking about it). My son too found it very hard, he was also into mixing, had a keyboard/synthosizer and stayed in his room all night (he did have a day job at that time) but over time by getting out/involved in lets say 'his scene of Drum & Bass' he did DJing at appropiate pubs, and has had records released in the UK (which he still recieves roalties for) he has is own record label too, he does guest DJing at some of the big Aus festivals, even been to Europe paid for by others to play there as well as invites to China. I know all this sound a bit grand but it is not, it was not enough to make a living on but it made him happy and met people. He eventually went to uni as a mature student to get a degree in in music production, and he now has a what I would call a 'proper job' in teaching music production at a private college, and at present the college is putting through his Masters degree.

If you would like I can get in touch with my son to see if he can offer any advice, please PM me if you so wish, but I will not respond until Monday, in Hahndorf for the weekend.

Good luck with everything.

Hey I'm alecia and me and my brother alex are both 19, we've been here since 07 , we found australians have different friendships then people in the uk so I wouldn't be surprised. If he wants someone to talk to or hang out with where both on fb. The music thing will be good i know a few people doing well in it so the opportunity is there.

Guest Stephaniewilson92

Hi Amanda,

My cousin joe 19 has just moved here a few weeks ago and would love to meet up with your son for a drink, private message me and they can exchange facebooks :)