niknjas

English v Australian passport

Hi

Never thought of this before but my friend raised this with me the other day.

We are going for citizenship next year. I already have dual nationality as I was not born in UK.

I assumed that we would just get australian passports but my friend said why not keep the english ones. She told me that if the kids wanted to go to Europe when they were older, they would have problems if they held an aussie passport. Is this right, has anyone experienced problems with this?

Thanks

Niki

No reason why you can't have both UK and Australian passports - my kids and my OH do.

Guest Claire-n-tel

I think as you are always a british citizen you can jusy apply for a new passport anytime, ie if you ones now run out and in 10 jears little johnny want to go backpacking you can just fill in the form and he gets a new one............i think!

You can keep both. My son is a dual citizen and has both UK and Aus passports. Means no need for visa when coming from Aus to UK/EU and vice versa.

If the UK passports expire you can apply for new ones as and when. Just be aware it costs more to renew UK passports in Aus than in the UK.

We plan to keep both passports current long term even if not used much.

I agree - getting an Australian Passport doesn't mean losing or giving up the British Passport. Personally I will be triple nationality (if and when I get the Australian one in a few years). 1st British, 2nd Israeli and one day 3rd Australian. You can call me Bond, Jame...... :biggrin:

Geoff....

Thanks everyone for your ansers.

GeoffuZz - like the idea of triple nationality.

Just had aways thought of just having one passport, not two.

Thanks once again.

Niki

Edited by niknjas
    spelling

Use UK one when entering UK, and Aus one when entering Aus.

Also it helps save money on visas. You potentially have to get less as you travel.