Guest Benoli

buying a new car....advice please

Guest Benoli

we're looking to buy a brand new car......any tips or advice before we hit the dealers would be greatly appreciated (prob nissan)! also, should we look for independent motor finance or what should we watch out for with dealer finance??

thanks

Guest Guest12727

The price isn't fixed and you can normally get a better price than the first one offered. If not, walk away and go to a different dealer. We got our current car about $4000 cheaper than offered by the first dealer (and it was probably the exact same car as they often source the same pool of cars and we were told there was only one in Adelaide). We also got a 0% finance deal that was going at the time - I think there are some very low interest deals still out there. Do your research on-line first so you know what you are expecting to pay and stick to your guns. Have a look at prices in Eastern states, as these are often a bit lower - then aim for that sort of price.

If you don't mind the model which is about to be updated, you can get a good new car for a better price, they don't normally change much. If you are going to hold onto it for a while I don't think the resale value will be that different down the track. Also sales people have monthly targets, they may offer a better deal near end of month or even better, end of year.

Consider a demo model, it will likely have done around 1000km but this knocks a fair bit off the price. Don't wait for them to be advertised, ask. My little suzuki swift was a demo, it is great.

Re finance, normally I would advise a personal loan over car finance, but with some of the deals that have been around recently dealer finance can be the way to go.

When looking at different cars, find out about service costs and times per year. Toyota have fixed price servicing for the first few years and it is pretty low and many cars now only need 1 service per year.

Lastly, try your luck on extras, see if you can get floor mats etc thrown in - it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck

As Howde said, look for an ex demo. I saved $16,000 on my Falcon that way. Prices really do drop alot for a 'used' new car.

Guest Benoli

cheers folks plenty of good advice to follow as always :) thank you!