Guest Priory

To ship wardrobes?

Guest Priory

Hi.

We are at the stage of shipping companies visiting the house to provide a quote. I caught sight of a comment in a post advising not to take wardrobes as all houses have them built in. Would you agree?

Thanks,

Pretty much every house I have been in to over there has built ins. At least in the main and bigger bedrooms. Some smaller bedrooms might not but tbh can easily buy something over there.

Plenty of people ship them it seems. Some have no real use for them, others do.

FWIW we don't plan to ship ours. Part as we expect lots of places to have them, part that if we are moving a couple of times perhaps in the early days we don't want to be lugging round huge great wardrobes each move. Would rather get what we want when we know where we are finally settling.

If you are taking a full container and have room then ship them. Not all houses have built ins in all bedrooms and if you find you don't need them you will get more selling them here than you would in the UK. We brought 3 - sold 2 and have one in the garage storing coats and things. Having said that if you are only bringing part of a container then it might be worth leaving them, although the shippers often pack things in the wardrobes so they don't take up that much room in the container.

Yep,i would bring them.We had a Rental with no Wardrobe space,built in or free standing!The tight arsed Landlord just shrugged his shoulders when we mentioned it!Ended up buying 7 robes.Better to have them with you i reckon.You can use them in the Garage if not needed initially,you may need them when you move on.Best of Luck.

I would take them of they are in good nick, especially if they can be flat-packed or stuffed with light stuff like duvets.

Our rental only had bir in master bedroom. This seems to be quite common in new build rentals.

They can always be used as extra storage in garage later.

Just had the first of the shipping companies in for quotes. Got him to do a quote for the one we can flat pack (we'll take it apart). He said any furniture that was big like that he reckoned was better flat packed as easier and better to transport. We'd not get it down the stairs without flat packing it anyways lol but if we can take the one with the big mirrored doors then I'll chuck it in.

Leaving all the others though.

Guest Priory

Thank you all. My mind is full of odd quandaries like this-that's one off my list!

Guest vikkiann

We have wardrobes in 3 rooms but the 2nd biggest bedroom doesn't have wardrobes, I'm so glad we bought ours, you can buy cheap stuff here but the wardrobes we bought with us were ikea and they would have cost us over $500 each to replace here.

As others have said if you have space in your container, bring everything!