Working Visa

McGintyoz

If she just wants to come on holiday and not work (for 3 months or less) then she should come over on a tourist visa. Save the WHV for if she really plans to spend longer in Aus and live and work. WHV is a one shot deal and once she has used it and activated it by arriving in Aus, she can't apply again.

Wow thats gone up, sure it wasnt that expensive when my nephew came over couple of years ago!

And dont forget (unless its changed of course), there is an option to extend WHV for a 2nd year but certain working criteria has to be met.

Its really gonna depend i suppose on what she wants to do....will she have enough money to support herself on a tourist visa?

Well she is not sure how long she wants to come over for and I think wants to be able to support herself financially whilst here that is why she has looked into a working visa.

I'd advise she have some savings behind her if she comes over on either visa (Aus immigration advises this also). She may not find great paying work or only temp stuff so wise to have some funds. Also iirc all of SA is classed as regional so so long as she finds some regional work on the list she could qualify for her second year WHV with ease. Fruit picking and so on.

A WHV is great in that you can earn as you travel round Aus (or if you stay in one place) but it would be a shame if she only planned for come for a couple of months and then went back and then decided she wanted to return again after the visa was expiring or some such, she'd not get another WHV. Hence me suggesting the tourist visa if it was for a holiday or shorter trip.

To get the most out of a WHV I think you need to plan to do at least 6 months in Aus, and the year (or two) if you like it enough and have savings to bring with you to fall back on. A few months working over the summer in the UK could see her with enough saved to have something to fall back on savings wise if she comes over, be it on a tourist or WHV visa.

Guest Adelaide_bound

If she does go with the WHV she really doesn't need to go anywhere else other than the official DIAC website to get it - a few places (sort of like STA, although not sure if they specifically do it) will 'sell' them as well, at a MASSIVE mark up, they tend to bundle things like a bank account and SIM card as well, which obviously are free and easy to get yourself so not worth the money at all.

Hope she has a lovely time :)