Guest clare0206

JOBS - Chef's

Guest clare0206

One minutes i can read positive things about jobs then the next i read they are hard to come by :sad:

For those with experience, can you help please?

Once we move, how likely would it be if my husband went door to door (so to speak) looking for a Chef job? We would be pro-active before hand sending CV's to companies etc. He is head chef to a small brigade or sous chef in a larger brigade.

Are we being un-realistic?

Thank you

You have the right attitude if you are going to go door to door, you will always find some work if you are willing to look hard enough, and then through trial and error eventually find the right job for you!

If you can google up the newspaper for Adelaide "The Advertiser" for 26th June front page and page 2 story may give you some positive hope.

good luck.

Keith

One minutes i can read positive things about jobs then the next i read they are hard to come by :sad:

For those with experience, can you help please?

Once we move, how likely would it be if my husband went door to door (so to speak) looking for a Chef job? We would be pro-active before hand sending CV's to companies etc. He is head chef to a small brigade or sous chef in a larger brigade.

Are we being un-realistic?

Thank you

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Hubby has gotten 2 jobs since we arrived and both were from places where he went in personally and handed in his résumé and actually spoke to someone. He also had a few others that he'd been in to that contacted him later too to ask if he was still looking for work. We applied for a few online through Seek before we got here, even though we had an arrival date confirmed, and never heard a thing back from any of them. Same goes for when he changed jobs, he applied online for all sorts and not a word from any of them. So I definitely thinks being proactive and doing the rounds is the way to do it if you can.

When are you looking to come over?

hi

hi hubby is a chef and we arrived in sep - he didn't have anything lined up before we came out as we found it really difficult to set anything up with individual restaurants before we left but once he was here it was a different story!! on a sat they have a career section in The Advertiser where you tend to find a few chef jobs and also from using Seek. within a week he had 3 job interviews and got offered 2 so really quick - they are desperate for decent chefs with experience here. a few tips in terms of looking for chef jobs specifically is to put on your cv next to his qualifications that they are equivalent to a full chef qualification cert 3 in Australia. also we deliberately arrived in September as this is when the spring/summer season starts and restaurants start to take on lots of staff after working on minimum numbers over the winter season

hope this helps and feel free to pm me if you need any more info

thanks

sorry hubby just read this and you would be the same as him in terms of sous or head chef and this is equivalent to cert 4 in commercial cookery in Australia cert 3 is newly qualified

thanks

Edited by OKMorris
    mistake

Guest clare0206

Wow you have all been SOOO helpful, great information.

We are off to a down under live expo in September in Birmingham then going to see how much money we have in the house and then the ball will start rolling - fingers crossed.

Would anyone be able to send me a copy of a CV (resume) please??

Daft question but the door to door thing, did you actually go to Adelaide city and hand out CV's or did you have specifics in mind?

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

We never went near the city! We knew before we came out he didn't want city work and the commute if we could avoid it so decided our other options work wise were either the Barossa or Mclaren Vale regions so we came south. We just went on trip advisor and got a list of the top 10-12 restaurants in the area and armed with the sat nav and a pile of resumes we had a lovely wee jaunt around them all :biggrin:

Guest clare0206

Ohhh what a good idea! great info - thanks

(any chance hubby has spare jobs going?) :wink: