Guest sithewindows

Taking pets

Guest sithewindows

Has anyone any useful info on taking cats and dogs from the UK?

Start with this link http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20United%20Kingdom

Basically, if you are planning to go in say 6-12 months, get the wheels in motion now re blood work, rabies vax etc. Aus quarantine is 30 days, Melbourne is the nearest station, iirc its about $1000 charge there. Depending on the size of your dog it will cost you between £1500-4000 to ship. Cats cheaper.

Some great pet shipping agents around if you are wanting to use one, just shout here and I can give you the names of a few.

Sorry the above was so brief. I'm running out the door but will post more in depth later.

But the link gives you all the lowdown as its the official AQIS page. Have a good read of it and see what you make of it.

Guest sithewindows

Hi Snifter

That was fine thanks. I have been on to a couple of agents today. Cheers Simon

Sorry the above was so brief. I'm running out the door but will post more in depth later.

But the link gives you all the lowdown as its the official AQIS page. Have a good read of it and see what you make of it.

Sounds good.

You can do it yourself with some legwork although it can apparently seem a bit overwhelming to get your head round.

FWIW, Pet Air, Golden Arrow and one or two others come highly recommended.

ETA - Some airlines don't accept dogs and cats unless shipped via a pet shippers iirc.

I used golden arrow. They were very good, especially when we had problems with our dogs blood tests and it looked like we were going to have to delay her.

Guest klataylor

Get everything started now. Rabies shots, blood tests, microchipping and vaccines. My little boy is still in London. We flew out April 27 and he doesn't fly out until August 14. It is 180 days between their rabies shot and a successful pass until they are released in Australia to you. Do it now.

ps we are going with Pet Air UK and have been excellent, even making room for our little monkey at their office in Dorset. Fortunately we had a friend volunteer to look after him for 4 months.

Guest sithewindows

Did you notice how I put 'useful' in the question?

Yes. It's illegal unless you own them first...

Sorry. Sometimes I think I'm hilarious.... We used JCS Livestock and can thoroughly recommend them. They were unbelievably helpful when we shipped Trevor. Good luck!

We used Petair last September for our 2 dogs and they took away a lot of the stress from what will always be a difficult decision.

Bob from Petair answered every question we had and spent sometimes hours with us on the phone, all before we signed up with them which we thought was great. They helped us do everything early with them and our own vets, so by the time my parents dropped them off at their offices near Heathrow, the dogs only had the flight and 30 nights in Spotswood Quarantine in Melbourne to get through. My sister lives in Melbourne so was able to visit them twice a week and take them for a little exercise in one of the grassed exercise pens. We drove over at the end of September, picked them up which took no more than 20 minutes, drove back to Adelaide and was home for dinner!

Guest sithewindows

You have the same problem I have then. Thanks for the advise

Sorry. Sometimes I think I'm hilarious.... We used JCS Livestock and can thoroughly recommend them. They were unbelievably helpful when we shipped Trevor. Good luck!

We just shipped our cats over in April using pet air who were fab nice and local to us so made it easier as I could drop them off, would recommend them.

i would agree with the comments about getting the rabies jabs etc done as 30 days in quarantine is manageable, we found Melbourne station to be good as we phoned and check a few times how they were getting on so they kept us update with and health concerns and general eating etc.

once back home they didn't seem at all bothered by what had happened just every now and then they get very jumpy when dogs bark which they never used to so whether that comes from quarantine I don't know .