Blossom

British chippy.

Has anyone else tried the new British chippy at the hub? We went on the weekend and I was rather impressed. The battered sausages were not the best I've ever had, but the haddock, chips and curry sauce were great. And they have cans of lilt! I had forgotten all about lilt.

I'm going to have to get some scampi next time I go. :-)

Guest Chris_J

Went on opening night, but the queue was horrendous. May well have to go on a week night or wait til the novelty has worn off a bit. Chips were pretty good though as waste fish.

We went on lunch time on Sunday and there was no queue at all. One of my friends on Facebook tried to go Saturday night, waited 40 minutes and then gave up.

Had haddock and chips for lunch yesterday and we were the only ones in the shop at 12.45!

Great chips and nice flaky white fish - I think I actually prefer the Aussie beer batter now though.

We tried it one day last week, queue wasn't to bad. Fish was nice, but me and the kids didn't like the chips at all too soggy, I think we have gotten used to the crispy chips. OH liked the chips just complained there wasn't enough of them again we have got used to Aussie large chips portions.

Has anyone else tried the new British chippy at the hub? We went on the weekend and I was rather impressed. The battered sausages were not the best I've ever had, but the haddock, chips and curry sauce were great. And they have cans of lilt! I had forgotten all about lilt.

I'm going to have to get some scampi next time I go. :-)

Scampi, now that is one thing I miss from home, but is it reconstituted?

Guest rlc

hahah. whats that song. heaven im in heaven. Fish were small, i asked and paid for a large one and it was really tiny but hey ho- not sure if they gave me a small one by mistake. Chips were great, sausage didn't touch the sides. Pie wasn't Hollands but was still steak and kidney. Chips were great - made a chip barm. Going back soon just for the chips. Oh and wil try the curry sauce next time.

Guest rlc

oh yeah, saw loads of my English freinds up there at the same time lol who i haven't seen for a while, Dave - Maggie etc. lol

hahah. whats that song. heaven im in heaven. Fish were small, i asked and paid for a large one and it was really tiny but hey ho- not sure if they gave me a small one by mistake. Chips were great, sausage didn't touch the sides. Pie wasn't Hollands but was still steak and kidney. Chips were great - made a chip barm. Going back soon just for the chips. Oh and wil try the curry sauce next time.

Ahhhh, I see you must be northern. Pukka pies are far superior to hollans. ;-)

I would love a nice butter pie though.

My portion of chips was the same as Aussie ones. Unfortunately the fish is also same sized portions as Aussie ones, but still lovely.

Scampi, who knows, I will have to try it and report back. I think I might cry is it is reconstituted.

This is what is wrong with expats (on the whole) they don't embrace what is here.

Balfours/Villis are far superior to Pukka.

The meat here is better, and of course eating food that is produced locally is what keeps the economy going, is fresher etc.

I like the pies here, I just know pukka are better than Hollands. ;-)

And why on earth don't they have them in chip shops? Dipping your chips in is half the fun. :-)

I don't mind stuff being cooked in a certain way - say "British" style, but I prefer to eat local produce if possible. Certainly the local fish I have had has been very nice.

Because there are bakeries all over the place selling great pies?

It's not just the chippy, why do people want cereals, sauces etc that are from UK?

I used to eat Weetabix and Kellogs Cornflakes, but it wasn't hard to change for the better, Skippys and Weetbix. When in the supermarket, I get Australian Pasta/Curry sauce etc. It's cheaper and better.

Well Adelaidenow, it all comes down to personal tastes, which usually stems from where and what you were brought up on. I am sure all of us expats do not boycott Balfours/Villis and never buy anything else which is Ozzie because it does not taste the same! its just that sometimes we occasionly yearn for that which our tastebuds miss.

As for the meat being better! well thats subjective too, I do not think the pork is upto much in OZ, thats why, in my opinion there is no Gammon ham or really good tasting bacon, and dont forget the pork pies and sausages!!!! but thats a personal judgment on taste! And don't get me going on the beer either!

It is your tastes. It isn't 'better' for everyone's tastes. I prefer tea to coffee, that doesn't mean I should have to drink coffee if I'm somewhere everyone else is, just because they think it is better.

The beauty of Australia is there is now far more CHOICE. :-)

I prefer the sausages here. :-)

I have forgotten what good bacon tastes like, it took a long time, but I'm used to the Aussie stuff now.

hahah. whats that song. heaven im in heaven. Fish were small, i asked and paid for a large one and it was really tiny but hey ho- not sure if they gave me a small one by mistake. Chips were great, sausage didn't touch the sides. Pie wasn't Hollands but was still steak and kidney. Chips were great - made a chip barm. Going back soon just for the chips. Oh and will try the curry sauce next time.

Take it you liked the chips then?

I like the pies here, I just know pukka are better than Hollands. ;-)

Forget the north v south debate, this is true controversy! Pukka (notice how it rhymes with 'yukka'?) better than Hollands? Any more of this nonsense and I shall apply to be a mod just to close this thread ... :wink:

Jim

Guest Claire-n-tel
    This is what is wrong with expats (on the whole) they don't embrace what is here.

Balfours/Villis are far superior to Pukka.

The meat here is better, and of course eating food that is produced locally is what keeps the economy going, is fresher etc.

Fair point but i'm sure for most people going there is going to be an occassional thing so i don't think it will cripple the ecconomy

Okay, I confess to very much enjoying a Pot Noodle (Beef and Tomato) a few weeks ago - but it was a treat (if that's the right word for a Pot Noddle) - the only one in a year. What is it with the bacon? Seems less watery to me.....which is good right?

Guest Guest75
    Well Adelaidenow, it all comes down to personal tastes, which usually stems from where and what you were brought up on. I am sure all of us expats do not boycott Balfours/Villis and never buy anything else which is Ozzie because it does not taste the same! its just that sometimes we occasionly yearn for that which our tastebuds miss.

As for the meat being better! well thats subjective too, I do not think the pork is upto much in OZ, thats why, in my opinion there is no Gammon ham or really good tasting bacon, and dont forget the pork pies and sausages!!!! but thats a personal judgment on taste! And don't get me going on the beer either!

The Pommie butcher at Southgate Plaza does a fair Gammon steak, made by themselves. Just look for Superior Meats to the left of Target.

Okay, I confess to very much enjoying a Pot Noodle (Beef and Tomato) a few weeks ago - but it was a treat (if that's the right word for a Pot Noddle) - the only one in a year. What is it with the bacon? Seems less watery to me.....which is good right?

sure less watery than pot noodle! need to treat yourself to some yorkshire bacon, seems like youve been missing out on good tastes for a while!

I have some OZ friends whom keep pigs and they say the way to fatten them up ready for slaughter is with old milk! so maybe that can explain the lack of flavour (my opinion again guys)

Tyke I tried one of that butchers pork pies, OK but for me not worth a special trip out there, he had no gammon then, but have tried other gammons, they do fill the gap between visits to the UK but I am afraid they do not compare favourably ( my opinion again guys!).

Still really miss my Robinsons squash though!!!! now that is worth going home for!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Ok......confession....i am ALWAYS gonna be a marmite girl! I can do vegemite but i wouldn't choose it first. That dosn't mean i would move back to the uk for it either:wink: But any visitors we have from the uk know they need to turn up with a big jar for us!

I have been known to buy a little jar in coles, they sell the tiny one for around $6, no it is not made here but it is sold here, by an australian company who are making a good whack of money on it, so do i feel guilty? Hell No! :biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
    Ok......confession....i am ALWAYS gonna be a marmite girl! I can do vegemite but i wouldn't choose it first. That dosn't mean i would move back to the uk for it either:wink: But any visitors we have from the uk know they need to turn up with a big jar for us!

I have been known to buy a little jar in coles, they sell the tiny one for around $6, no it is not made here but it is sold here, by an australian company who are making a good whack of money on it, so do i feel guilty? Hell No! :biglaugh:

Just had 3 slices of toast with Marmite Gold on.......................:tongue::tongue::cute:

I actually like Vegemite and marmite equally now. I didn't like Vegemite when I tried it when I was young, but now it's fine.

Tyke, I went to that butcher at the weekend (it may have been you who mentioned it on this site?) and am having gammon for dinner tonight. :-)