PSS/ Disinfecting items

kadina

Has anyone got any advice with moving back to Australia, we never had half as much trouble coming this way but obviously (and its very much understood) that Australia are very strict with what gets shipped back into Australia, but I am just wondering what everyone else experiences are with disinfecting outdoor items? I could get PSS to do it for me or do I do it myself? its costing a bomb so what to save where I can , or is it better to let them do it, it all seems silly really disinfecting everything (but like I said I do understand) it would just be a little more understandable if all countries did it and not just Australia, I will have shoes in my case, but if I have any going in the container on the ship they have to be disinfected, how would they know they had even been done , thanking you

Outdoor items I was told by the shipping companies do have to be cleaned well. Jeyes fluid seems to be the go to of choice for many but it will leave a smell for a loooooooong time afterwards. Soil, dirt, loose rust and all that, clean.

Shoes have to be also as apparently they can and do swab them on the soles. I plan to use Dettol or some other anti bac stuff on shoes, not Jeyes. For luggage and shipped ones.

FWIW we are not taking any outdoor stuff other than bikes which are cleaned often anyways and apart from sons bike will be flown over on the plane.

Thanks for that, they have recommended the Jeyes fluid, its just if its worth doing it yourself you think?? would customs think its done better if PSS did it? its just frustrating when you know things are clean, our bikes hardly get used, and we have already moved back this way and did not have to disinfect anything, our Aussie BBQ has been in the garage since we came back as we could not lift it down our back steps lol and its perfectly clean, I have never disinfected shoes in our plane luggage they have always been clean, its all just quite annoying all these extra costs for things that are not really necessary if you have cleaned the item anyway, the tools we are taking back have been thoroughly cleaned and painted as recommended and then they tell us they have to be disinfected too, slight over kill if you ask me xx but I very much expected it nothing surprises me with Aussie Customs lol

Outdoor items I was told by the shipping companies do have to be cleaned well. Jeyes fluid seems to be the go to of choice for many but it will leave a smell for a loooooooong time afterwards. Soil, dirt, loose rust and all that, clean.

Shoes have to be also as apparently they can and do swab them on the soles. I plan to use Dettol or some other anti bac stuff on shoes, not Jeyes. For luggage and shipped ones.

FWIW we are not taking any outdoor stuff other than bikes which are cleaned often anyways and apart from sons bike will be flown over on the plane.

Thanks for that, they have recommended the Jeyes fluid, its just if its worth doing it yourself you think?? would customs think its done better if PSS did it? its just frustrating when you know things are clean, our bikes hardly get used, and we have already moved back this way and did not have to disinfect anything, our Aussie BBQ has been in the garage since we came back as we could not lift it down our back steps lol and its perfectly clean, I have never disinfected shoes in our plane luggage they have always been clean, its all just quite annoying all these extra costs for things that are not really necessary if you have cleaned the item anyway, the tools we are taking back have been thoroughly cleaned and painted as recommended and then they tell us they have to be disinfected too, slight over kill if you ask me xx but I very much expected it nothing surprises me with Aussie Customs lol

Pretty much every post I have read about it tells people did it themselves :)

O I only clean my shoes for flying into Aus as we live near farmland and I often walk over it (in my walking boots but I am the cautious anyways) and as I know they used to ask this on the landing card (after the UK FMD outbreak). They cleaned my boots that time before letting me in, even though I'd cleaned them myself and had chosen a pair not been out on the farm.

Jeyes is not necessary it really does smell everything out and lingers.............

Wash well in soapy water or a dilute bleach solution. Give a final spray with a kitchen surface disinfectant if you want to. TBH all we did was scrub well. My walking boots had never been so clean since I bought them.

ANY sign of soil or organic matter is a big no no.

Interesting when we came back to the UK they were just as fussy, wanted to know the details of electronic equipment, phones and expected everything to be spotless.

I hate the smell of Jeyes dad used to use it to clean the greenhouse when I was a kid and it always made me feel sick.

Just a whiff of it will not, as some people think, mean they will not check thoroughly anyway.

I power washed bikes, tents, garden tools....the lot, then washed everything in Jeyes. The only barrier was that it wouldn't stop raining last summer in the UK to allow me to get out and actual wash it all. We had no worries at all doing it ourselves, just do a good job :)

The smell of Jeyes didn't bother us - and it's faded away - but I can understand that some people find it a bit stinky.

How about you give everything as good a clean as you can, then get a spray bottle with some watered down Jeyes in it and spray liberally in the general vicinity of the object? I reckon customs would stick their noses in, smell the Jeyes, and give it a tick!

Hi. Got around 12 wooden articles from holidays including carvings etc, some of them may need treating before i bring them to oz but cannot locate any where online where you can take them to get treated, anyone got any info.?